Apple 'Missed Something' Without Verizon iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
So Apple having "too much control" means "you can't put any of your carrier crap onto this phone"? Or maybe it was "The user must be able to remove any crap the carrier puts on"?
Maybe it was just "We won't install VCast stock"?

Either way, good news for consumers.

dallaswits

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
With WP7 making a hell of an entrance, and android boasting the largest feature set, i am left wondering what the heck apple even has to offer.......

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dallaswits[/nom]With WP7 making a hell of an entrance, and android boasting the largest feature set, i am left wondering what the heck apple even has to offer.......[/citation]

I agree with you there. After looking at what WP7 and skinned Androids can do, Apple's interface decidedly looks lame.

G

Apple continues to make the same errors. They really want way too much control. You want a computer with the apple operating system guess what your buying it it from apple. Your limited on your choice of the computer and your price is set by apple. Want windows well you have options.

Same is true with the phones. Want the i-phone well you have to use ATT, and you have more paid apps, and heaven forbid your phone breaks and you don't live by a apple repair center. Cause you have to mail it off to the nearest one.

Want android, well you can have your choice of carriers and plans. Phone breaks, no problem chances are there are a few repair clinics nearby. More free apps, and backed by Google.

Apple has always wanted complete control, that is why they have always been a small fish in a big pond. And that is why Android stomps their butts in sales.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
It's funny how people talk about the iPhone being "lame". Here's the thing, it doesn't MATTER if Androids are "open", because in reality they really aren't that open, and they lack a great market, and the foundation that Apple has. Am I an apple fanboy? I wouldn't say I am, I hate Macs and their OS with a great passion, I only have a 2nd Gen Touch so far, but hoping to upgrade to an iPhone 4. The reason is, it's kind of like having Windows over Mac. You can customize and tweak Windows much easier than you can with Mac. Android may be "open", but you can jailbreak iOS and it's really just a great device. You guys talk about Apple having too much control like there's no work around. Do companies have to MAKE the device open for you now, or are you too stupid to figure out a jailbreak?

Yes they have strict policies here and there, but Im glad they implement some of the stuff they do. There's a good reason behind almost everything. I'd rather not have the latest bleeding edge technology, just as long as the device does what it's supposed to do well, I'm happy. The iPhone has exclusivity, the Android devices do not. Android phones are all over from a bunch of different manufacturers, and I VERY much dislike that.

kriminal

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
@ android123456 do you think if apple chose the same business model as Microsoft that they would've survived? going up against the elephant in the room carrying its same concepts will yield failure. steve had to do something radically different to succeed.

you sad the android beats apple in sales... well let me show you some common sense. now iOS is only carried by apple and its products right? now android is open and so a lot of companies use it for their products right?
now lets say you separate each company and their individual android phones sales and compare to apple iphone phones sales.. what do you get?
isn't apple worth more in share prices than Microsoft now?
oh yeah jail-broken Iphone = win :)

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Since when is "I can hack my product" a valid arguement for it being better? Apple makes decent products and has a great marketing team. Period. The iPhone is not the fastest nor the newest phone on the market. It has many more problems with it than other phones do. Sure there are more apps, but all of the important ones are on both systems. Stop trying to logically defend owning an iPhone and just say, "I want it because I like it." That would make more sense than trying to justify it with some stupid arguement that doesn't hold.

Also, either Android is open or it isn't. Half of Apple Fanboi posts claim that it isn't open when comparing it to the iPhone but then claim the reason Android has higher market share is because it's open platform. Make up your mind.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
From Apple's perspective it probably worked out quite nicely anyway - even if the carrier they used wasn't the best (going on the comments since I've no experience of either) didn't they still sell everything they could make for the first however long it has been?

andrewpmathias

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]So Apple having "too much control" means "you can't put any of your carrier crap onto this phone"? Or maybe it was "The user must be able to remove any crap the carrier puts on"?Maybe it was just "We won't install VCast stock"?Either way, good news for consumers.[/citation]

Doubt that is what they meant by having too much control. If that is the case, the Android phones have too much control then.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]kriminal[/nom]isn't apple worth more in share prices than Microsoft now?[/citation]

Just because a stock is at a higher selling point than another companies does not mean the company is worth more as a whole or more successful. Microsoft has done 9 stock splits over the years while apple has only done 2. Had apple done the same number of splits, their stock would be selling for considerable less. Had Microsoft not done these splits their stock would be selling for well over $1000 at this point. Much higher than apples would be.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Knowing Apple, to much control probably meant them trying to tell Verizon what the data usage contract terms had to be.

Seems like two controlling monopolies getting angry because they ran into someone with as much weight behind them as they have

tehpwnerer1918

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Android123456[/nom]And that is why Android stomps their butts in sales.[/citation]

Wow... 20+ phones on every carrier beats one phone on one carrier in the U.S. That's amazing...

Golf clap for you genius.

ruschein

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
@pooflinger1:

You obviously have *no* idea what you're talking about!

#of apple shares * value of a single apple share > #of ms shares * value of a single ms share

It has absolutely nothing to do with the value of a single share!

G

I find it amusing that so many commenters are willing to tell Apple all they've done wrong, yet Apple's making a killing in the market and market share. Something tells me that Jobs knows what he's doing more than some lame commenter who has a grudge against Apple's way of doing business.

G

You shouldn't have to void your warranty to have a good phone.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bamslang[/nom]Since when is "I can hack my product" a valid arguement for it being better? Apple makes decent products and has a great marketing team. Period. The iPhone is not the fastest nor the newest phone on the market. It has many more problems with it than other phones do. Sure there are more apps, but all of the important ones are on both systems. Stop trying to logically defend owning an iPhone and just say, "I want it because I like it." That would make more sense than trying to justify it with some stupid arguement that doesn't hold.Also, either Android is open or it isn't. Half of Apple Fanboi posts claim that it isn't open when comparing it to the iPhone but then claim the reason Android has higher market share is because it's open platform. Make up your mind.[/citation]

You mean similar to the posts here about how people can "skin" their android based phones. And if WP7 coming three years late to the game is a "hell of an entrance" sounds like your drinking the Steve Ballmer koolaid.

Open does not necessarily make a platform better. It causes fragmentation, like Linux. And all the best games are on the iOS platform, THAT much cannot be disputed.

Status
Not open for further replies.