Apple Patents Glasses-Free 3D Projection System

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wait a minute, didn't Nintendo incorporate something similar into their new DS that's coming out?
Does this mean Apple is about to sue Nintendo for infringing on a patent?

I gotta hand it to stevie, he's a crafty little ant.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wait a minute, didn't Nintendo incorporate something similar into their new DS that's coming out?Does this mean Apple is about to sue Nintendo for infringing on a patent?I gotta hand it to stevie, he's a crafty little ant.[/citation]

i mean worm (last word in the entire sentence)

G

I call BS!!! Here Steve has looked around, seen what other companies are working on, thought about their work, evolved a half baked idea and gone ahead to patent it, purely for IP interests only, so as to sue any manufacturers who do realise their inventions fully in the future!!!

I personally am pushing as hard as i can for the fall of Apple and their terrible business habits that impact on non-apple users more than people know!

I can honestly say, there is not one person who owns an Apple product that feels happy with their purchase when I show them the truths about the company and its leader and the ethos they have bought into, not one!

To top this off, an Idea like this should not have even been amused without a fully working prototype, and there should be a clause where patent lapses if manufacturing to sales does not happen within a timeframe from date of prototype being patented!

And yes, I hate the real fruit Apples just as much!!

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wait a minute, didn't Nintendo incorporate something similar into their new DS that's coming out?Does this mean Apple is about to sue Nintendo for infringing on a patent?I gotta hand it to stevie, he's a crafty little ant.[/citation]

Should this happen, Nintendo will promptly had Apples ass to them through legalicide alone.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]Should this happen, Nintendo will promptly had Apples ass to them through legalicide alone.[/citation]
This is not new Apple also somehow was awarded a patent to a copy of the Wii remote as well.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I think the Nintendo solution uses 2 screens on top of each other to create a 3d image which is totally different & much less complex than the Apple solution.

G

im not really a fan of apple, but what qualified this patent was probably the use of motion tracking to discern multi-viewer location to augment a 3D auto-stereoscopic system, whether this is enough to qualify it as 'new arts' is another debate

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]I think the Nintendo solution uses 2 screens on top of each other to create a 3d image which is totally different & much less complex than the Apple solution.[/citation]
Actually the 3D screen of the Nintendo 3DS is a single 800×240 LCD. It uses a paralax barrier to send a 400×240 pixel image to each eye. This technology that Apple pattented uses also a paralax barrier, a technology that was developed by Sharp.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Wouldn't it be the ultimate funny if apple was using kinect to track the people in the room (I mean that is what kinect does)?

Seriously there needs to be a better way of doing this patten business. This is a great concept, but if 5 other companies come up with the same idea around the same time and one presents a proof of concept before apple then apple still has the patten to the idea. People on here joke about patenting the breathing process, and suing those who breath. And that idea is not too far fetched in view of all these patten wars. There needs to be a way to protect ideas while the developer is in the design phase, but allow others with similar ideas (with slower lawyers) to implement their ideas. First to market with a functioning unit gets the patent.

G

[citation][nom]millerm84[/nom]Seriously there needs to be a better way of doing this patten business. ... First to market with a functioning unit gets the patent.[/citation]

No kidding. I was doing research a few years back (unrelated field - chemistry) we had a few ideas kicking around, right up until the point we checked the patent field for the area of interest. Some company had patents for, basically, everything. It looked like they had sat around and had a bull session re the technology and patented every possbile application of the tech. To this day they have no products and have done no research - hell, they don't even know whether the stuff they have patents on is even possible. It might be that after a few years of lab work half the stuff they have claimed won't actuallly work, but we will never know because there is no incentive for anyone else to work on it. It is very frustrating, because most research comes about as the result of other research - you look at something, it doesn't fly, but it makes you think about other applications, even completely different avenues of exploration. The current patent field is just smacking down huge roadblocks to progress and innovation all across science and technology.
Having done with that rant - this display looks sort of interesting as a concept, wonder how many people watching it could support?

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

No, this is for a projection system, the 3DS system is a 3d LCD that uses 2 layers.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Here is how business should work:

If you have the same idea as the other person, make it better and cheaper. Survival of teh fittest...and smartest....which is not up Stevies alley.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Upgrade to the Patent system :
1. No demonstration, no patent.
2. 5 Years after registration, patent expires, you loose exclusive rights and its free for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS