Apple Patents Sending Power, Data to Unopened Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I don't get why people are complaining. That's pretty cool and seemingly ingenious, which leads me to believe this may be apples first real invention :p

Just kidding, good job with some progress.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
what good will this do. All the apple products are locked in the back of the warehouse. You don't even get to see the box until its marched up via armed guard to the cash register. So this would be a huge waste of materials.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
They are just pushing Pink Floyd's concept a bit further ;-)
Remember the live album "The Pulse" with the flashing red led on the CD box !

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
If an Android phone is placed in front of an iPhone on the shelf it alerts a member of staff with the command, "Bring to front".

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Powering inside the package?

I think Apple needs to eliminate the battery explosion issue first. Otherwise the whole warehouse is gone!

craig_1000

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
LOL this is funny they are using a wired connection how 1990's, now lets see who has a patent for none contact recharging of devices (AKA Palm phones) and a wake up on lan (wireless). New patent of yesteryear.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
”This allows for a number of possibilities such as a useable and visible display, wireless firmware updates and other data content."

Like viruses and other nice malware pre-installed. Awesome!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]Powering inside the package?I think Apple needs to eliminate the battery explosion issue first. Otherwise the whole warehouse is gone![/citation]

Their clever, they won't be using the battery while its in store with this to keep material damage lower (its not like they care much about human lives accept when they got media on them). That makes all material damage happen at the customer instead when they charge it for the first time!

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Really cool idea.

I just bought some specialized music hardware/software and when I got home the install disc would not work properly on Windows 7 (even thought it stated on the box it would). I had to go to the website and download the latest version of the software in order to get it to communicate with the hardware at all. I was just thinking how big a pain this could have been if I was not tech savvy.

I can imagine in the future the software disc coming on a flash card (or something similar) and the manufacturer being able to update the install "disc" remotely. Would be sweet and save lots of people headaches. Also for hardware, they could flash the latest bios or whatever.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Nothing new.. This technology is already applied in stores. It wirelessly charges and powers on (by sensors -through product movement, or passing by it) electronic devices, toys, magazines.. For example you pick up a toy dinosaur -it starts roaring, moving.. In magazines -front cover lights up, eyes of a model on the front cover light up etc.. It's just more patent trolling by apple.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Why would I want to buy something that has been turned on or screen running all day long. So this makes the item used with wear and tear on it. So Apple is going to charge more for packaging with the item being used with wear and tear on the battery and screen? This makes a lot of sense.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Why would I want to buy something that has been turned on or screen running all day long. So this makes the item used with wear and tear on it. So Apple is going to charge more for packaging with the item being used with wear and tear on the battery and screen? This makes a lot of sense.[/citation]

Dude the screen isn't going to be on all day. They device will be turned on remotely, then updated and turned off again when it's done. You're going to have to put the wear and tear on the device by updating it once it's opened anyway.

G

what I would like is wireless power and data while the gadget is out of the packaging. A phone, camera or tablet could be totally environmentally sealed; filling the voids with heat-conducting gel would avoid localised heat build-up, and one would end up with a tough, go-anywhere device.

Of course, there would have to be enough memory in there for general use, and the battery would not be replaceable. The technology is already out there (inductive charging, comms via wifi, bluetooth or wireless usb), it just needs bringing together. and some standardisation would help, so I would not need a different docking/charging station for each device I own!

Status
Not open for further replies.