Apple Patents Smart iPhone Remote for Your Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Ford already has something like this. I don't see this Apple only system going into place. It would seem that Apple would charge motor companies to integrate this technology.
As well as iMacs being the chosen OS of hackers at hacking conventions... I wouldn't want my vehicle to be hackable or more easily stolen...

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"On your return, naturally distracted by your brilliant purchase, you forgot where you parked your car. So you whip out your iPhone, which immediately connects to the parking garage's wireless system and pinpoints your car. While approaching, the phone's Bluetooth links up to the car and confirms the identity of the phone and the car. You look for your key, only to realize that you left it in plain sight sitting on your seat... but no problem as you use your iPhone to unlock your car. Once in the driver's seat, you notice that someone has changed your seating position. Instead of trying to get comfortable again, you recall your profile from your iPhone, which then moves the driver's seat and the mirrors to the optimum position for you. Lastly, you use your iPhone to start your car, while also turning on the radio to your favorite station, opening the sunroof, and setting your inbuilt GPS for home..."
... after 5 minutes of driving you notice that was not your car.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
While I think it would be cool to control stuff from my smartphone like rolling the back windows down, its still just a gimmick to me.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
i remember a honda commercial a few months ago that allready had that. these patent people must get a lot of money on the side

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I get the impression Apple will expect you to buy the latest higher end car to support their interactivity. Furthermore, as per the article, the people I know that are prone to losing car keys, often lose their phones.
What about the parents who think it cute to entertain toddlers with iPhones? I can just see the headlines, "Woman crashes car when seat moved on it's own and pushed her into the steering wheel." Perhaps they can hide that behind a slide to unlock, or would that be too easy? (sarcasm)

none12345

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Stuff like this already exists. Our patent system is such a joke, especially with the first to patent laws today. Doesnt matter if someone did it first, first to patent wins!
Beyond that this is stupid in the first place. Why should i have to fish out a phone to remember my seat positions. That should be a button on the touch screen of the car. Why should i have to fish out my phone to adjust the windows, that should be a button on the touch screen of the car, etc, etc.
Beyond that there is the security concern. I would NOT want my car to have a remote start from a phone(and i know this is already out in production cars right now). Or a locating service form a phone. That is just asking for any hacker to have a field day with.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Call me old fashioned but I like my car to work with minimal extra electronics and be something that I can work on. The hacks for this are going to be interesting, vehicle shutdown commands, accelerator mods, you name it. Think the roads are dangerous now just wait to see what happens when road rage hits the hacker community.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If I parked my car at a mall and came back and my seat was moved, the first thought through my head is "who stole what" not "oh lets move my seat back." Aside from the seat moving, nothing is new here,
As for corporate co-operation across the board. Everyone in the tech industry know how Apple treats their partners and I doubt other industries will want to let the fruit into their homes.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Every comment above makes sense, except for the first one; that one can't see the logic of other's arguments, and still I did not find one reference to Android in the other comments.
@ sundragon: You see, "Fandroids" don't hate, they use something called "thinking" for their arguments.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
"Once in the driver's seat, you notice that someone has changed your seating position. Instead of trying to get comfortable again, you recall your profile from your iPhone, which then moves the driver's seat and the mirrors to the optimum position for you."
So if you drove your car to the store and are now driving it home, who moved your seat?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Isn't that what the car alarm is for on your car keys, to locate the car. :)

My keys don't come out of my pocket so they never get left in the car.
Keyless entry systems have been around for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.