Apple Recalling Select Verizon iPad 2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I would say serves those iPad buyers right for wasting their money on an iPad 2....

... butttt $50 credit or a free accessory is a good response from Verizon/Apple to keep the customers happy.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I researched tablets for weeks and tried them all, iPad2 was the best. It's the most polished tablet on the market. Flame me all you want...idc..lol[/citation]
I have not used the xoom yet or many other tablets for that matter, and part of the reason the iPad 1&2 are great (goes for any of their devices) is that apple makes the hardware AND software, and not a bunch of 3rd party companies

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Same goes for me. I desperately wanted to get anything but an ipad. I tried many many tablets, the Xoom, Acer Iconia, the Viewpad etc, but they were all relatively heavy, and none of them do anything better than an ipad. Sure they all compete, and its nice to have something different with the Android home screen, but they all lack polish. And every contender comes with Android, which just doesn't have many tablet specific apps.

Thats where they fall short. And then I always thought back to the ipad. It checks the boxes and does so in style and finesse. My only complaint is the lack of a higher res screen, but hey, the isheep need a reason to upgrade.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]I have not used the xoom yet or many other tablets for that matter, and part of the reason the iPad 1&2 are great (goes for any of their devices) is that apple makes the hardware AND software, and not a bunch of 3rd party companies[/citation]
Wait what? Apple has no fabs, ALL of their hardware is made by 3rd party companies.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]I have not used the xoom yet or many other tablets for that matter, and part of the reason the iPad 1&2 are great (goes for any of their devices) is that apple makes the hardware AND software, and not a bunch of 3rd party companies[/citation]

Software, yes. Hardware, (if any at all) no.

for the example of the ipad 2:

Cpu/GPU/RAM (PoP Soc): Apple A5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5

The Apple A5 is a package on package (PoP) system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed by Apple and manufactured by Samsung

I dont know about you i dont call designing hardware as making it.

G

@octacon72

You researched for weeks and came to the conclusion you needed a giant iPhone...... thats an expensive web browser there

G

Maybe the "polish" is coming off the Apple after all.

Apple is a great marketing creation that main stream media outlets like CNBC love to promote...I almost get the feeling that jobs is a good friend of the senior president of CNBC operations. True?

G

So when this happens to RIM with the playbook, the sky is falling and RIM is a complete and abject failure at doing anything.

Yet the same thing happens to the iPad2 and we're treated to none of the same conjecture?

I wonder when the media will stop trying to assassinate RIM and realize that it has its place in the smartphone and tablet market.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
LOL at people saying Apple doesn't make hardware. No they don't, but they do 99% of the work.

I designed an automotive computer module to control drive-by-wire throttles. I first designed the circuit and simulated in software. Then I built actual circuits to test in the real-world (simulations are good, but they can't predict everything). To do this I design a circuit board and have a few samples made up that I hand assemble. This also goes through several revisions. I also wrote the software the microcontroller uses, and, of course, this involved a significant amount of testing. In all I had almost 700 hours of work put into this project.

When it was time to build assembled versions, I had a fab company make it for me. I provided them with final versions of the circuit board and a bill of materials for all the components. I sourced all the electronic components (on reels) and had them shipped to the fab company. They then ran a batch of 1,000 of fully assembled circuit boards for me. Took them less than a day to set line up and a couple days later I had 1,000 fully assembled PCB's.

So who do you think should get the credit for my hardware design? Me, or the fab company that followed my instructions and assembled something to my specifications?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
...Apple also doesn't overcharge and take your money - (I'm wrong and so are you)

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I researched tablets for weeks and tried them all, iPad2 was the best. It's the most polished tablet on the market. Flame me all you want...idc..lol[/citation]
You are a flaming Apple and an Intel fangirl...how was that?

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I think you mean apple designs the software, the design of the ipad, buys huge bulk packages of hardware made form other companies. Then enslaves foxconn workers to manufacture them.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]LOL at people saying Apple doesn't make hardware. No they don't, but they do 99% of the work.I designed an automotive computer module to control drive-by-wire throttles. I first designed the circuit and simulated in software. Then I built actual circuits to test in the real-world (simulations are good, but they can't predict everything). To do this I design a circuit board and have a few samples made up that I hand assemble. This also goes through several revisions. I also wrote the software the microcontroller uses, and, of course, this involved a significant amount of testing. In all I had almost 700 hours of work put into this project.When it was time to build assembled versions, I had a fab company make it for me. I provided them with final versions of the circuit board and a bill of materials for all the components. I sourced all the electronic components (on reels) and had them shipped to the fab company. They then ran a batch of 1,000 of fully assembled circuit boards for me. Took them less than a day to set line up and a couple days later I had 1,000 fully assembled PCB's.So who do you think should get the credit for my hardware design? Me, or the fab company that followed my instructions and assembled something to my specifications?[/citation]
FLAME ON!

rflynn88

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
[citation][nom]iPhoneWebBrowser[/nom]@octacon72You researched for weeks and came to the conclusion you needed a giant iPhone...... thats an expensive web browser there[/citation]

So how is any Android tablet not a giant Android smartphone?

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Software, yes. Hardware, (if any at all) no.for the example of the ipad 2:Cpu/GPU/RAM (PoP Soc): Apple A5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5I dont know about you i dont call designing hardware as making it.[/citation]

Yes, they make it. Whether they actually own the fab, or have it subcontractor is really minor difference in today's business word. Having it as a subcontractor simply makes things like multisourcing and scaling easier from business point of view, but all manufacturing controls, procedures and practices are still in apple hands. If you worked in any large hi-tech company that "makes" stuff, you would know that. Hell, even Ford does not manufactures Focus by Ford, it is only "final assembly" that is done here.

G

@rflynn88

No difference, there is nothing that compels me to get a tablet, it either has to be dirt cheap or offer me some advantage, right now there is nothing compelling about tablets (save the Eee Pad which is a full blown productivity tablet but has a hefty price tag)

@MxM

your basically telling me Apple was responsible for the industrial accident @ foxconn and deaths that occurred the other week....

Status
Not open for further replies.