Apple Recruiting Ex-Google Maps Workers to Fix iOS 6 Maps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Next steps for google:
1) wait for apple to fix the app
2) file an injunction against the use of said app
3) sue (for the amount of google maps development) apple for copyright infringement
4) force apple to pay royalties just to include google maps in apples app store for every iOS iteration

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]85K as his base salary, or 85K to fix the current map issues? Seems low either way?! Does Apple not pay their employees well or what?[/citation]

85K sucks.

I am a Microsoft .Net developer living in DFW making over 105K and I am not even at the top of the pay scale.

G

Here's a quick fix: approve Google Maps for iOS. That wasn't so hard, was it?

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If I were Google I would be pretty worried right now. Here's how that plays out.

1. crapple hires former Google employees. They create maps just like they did for Google (naturally)
2. crapple now sues Google for every map application because Google copied crapple's mapping code.
3. Judge naturally sides with crapple because everything they do is correct, certainly not copied and totally innovative. It's also revolutionary and magical. Timeline is completely ignored even though the judge has used Google maps for years and within the past year barely hears about crapple maps.
4. Google maps is now shut down, every user is forced to use crapple maps as part of the rulings.

crapple is destroying innovation through stupid patents. Patent system overhaul NOW!

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]abcshopping941[/nom],,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,$$$$$$$,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,$$$$$$$$,,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,$$$$$$$$,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$,$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$,,$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$,,,$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,$$$$$$$$,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$$$$[/citation]

I wouldn't dream of clicking those links, that is, unless they are accompanied by fly dollar sign ascii art.

Lol, you are seriously targeting a tech site with scamification?

spat55

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]So Apple complains about companies stealing their ideas and they decide to go after Google's employees to create their own innovative maps software?Did it ever occur to Apple that there's a reason that these are ex-Google employees?Maybe that's way when you look for a bridge you get Home Depot.[/citation]

Yh I see where you are coming from, if it where me and I was google, I would give a group of employees £100,000 ($165,000) each to go and work with Apple, along with whatever Apple give them to sabotage the Apple maps stuff. This would help Android even more.

Things are looking bad for Apple now that Jobs has gone, and like some other guy said on here yesterday, he isn't coming back to save them again.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I wonder if Google has their software engineers sign non-competes or non-disclosure agreements when predicting an ex-employee makes a move like this.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Apple's Ping failed...now this. iPhones with scratch-likely casings...i think the beginning of the end is near.[/citation]
Sadily no. fans will say "these are things I can live with, because I have a much better phone anyway"

I even had an Ifan brag about how Apple is an American Made Green company today. I had to laugh and walk away.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]the_brute[/nom]Sadily no. fans will say "these are things I can live with, because I have a much better phone anyway" I even had an Ifan brag about how Apple is an American Made Green company today. I had to laugh and walk away.[/citation]

aluminium case... i cont care if it scratches on the back, does the front function? will the back shatter from a small drop? do i care what people think of my phone?

answer is no to all.

i hate apple, but getting rid of the glass back was a good move.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]I wonder if Google has their software engineers sign non-competes or non-disclosure agreements when predicting an ex-employee makes a move like this.[/citation]
those expire after a certain time and are void if google "let them go"

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
If Apple is committed to this mapping endeavor they'll fix this...and they need to fix it fast. ...every hour I find a new reason to be glad that I left my iPhone behind for my new SGS3 (yeah, I'm that psyched about it). I still feel the slight tugs of the iSheep in me but I'm like a recovered alcoholic...and I know it will be sometimes rough journey ahead. ;)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]those expire after a certain time and are void if google "let them go"[/citation]
Even so, there is something known as corporate property, and that happens to be protected by laws. In brief, if one company owns a certain app, employees that used to work for that company can not just take code from that app and use it elsewhere; that code is the company's property, not employee's. There have been cases before in PC gaming industry (and not only there) where employees thought that they can freely take code and use it for the new employers... Needless to say, it ended up badly for them.

bender3000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
This is exactly the reason why I tell people to stay with Android. In the past people have given me a dubious look when I speak of the superiority of Google maps. Now I sit back and grin.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well, apple is a bit of a failure right? We come out with some fancy new device that violates everyone elses patents, then our stock goes up, and we sue the companies we stole from and our stock drops to below what it was before the device came out because we dooped our customers into believing an inferior product was better for 1 week.

And only the little kids that have not been schooled will give this post negative marks and an admin should put them in their place. Apple users have to grow up into adults one day..... This is not Peter Pan and never never land.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
don't worry the non compete clause these workers signed with google means they will be submitting their paychecks to google soon and apple is going to be sued off the map for various blatant patent infringements

mark0718

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Google Earth has the problem of showing some bridges as being in the water.

Try the Henry Hudson Bridge on Henry Hudson Parkway/Route 9A, between the Bronx
and Manhattan, located at about 40°52'40.45" N 73°55'17.47"

Why don't they just do the quick and simple fix? Make a deal with Mapquest and include their iOS map app in future iOS releases.

It's already offered for free in the app store. I haven't tried it yet since I use a GPS. I'm also still on iOS 5 so have Google maps. The rare times I use the map is to quickly estimate travel time or find the address of a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.