Apple Rejects Google Voice, Approves Skype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
classic.. that people would assume they could get around apple/att's methods to get paid is hilarious... why are you so eager to save money, i thought all you iphone users were wealthy enough to afford the phone and it's service costs? there are other phones available that do what you wish to do, so saying that it's somehow wrong for apple/att to do this is very short sighted... i guess the me too me too plague is affecting cell phone users as well as home owners...

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
i wonder if tmobile w/ G1 (and other android phones) will follow suit. if not, than boy, will it suck to have an iphone while others are able to do Google Voice, GV Mobile, Voice Central, Skype, etc.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
At home I use my BlackBerry to connect to WiFi and then talk with my friends before my free evenings come to play. I don't need 10-20 apps that will do what is already included in my phone (VoIP included)...

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Don't decide what i want...
Give me the options and let me choose...
I decide if i want to use Google Talk or your iphone...

Thank god i don't have an iphone...

I hate it when they do this move... what now... you think you know me better than i know my self...

more reasons for me not to buy anything related to apple.

G

It won't be that long before your nettop wristwatch with built-in WiFi will allow you to use Skype freely anyway.

Until then, I'm trying to come up with some dance steps to perform on the grave of the old-school carriers.

G

This is one of many many reasons as why I don't own a iphone. No choices!!!!! Got a itouch and jailbroke it so I could make it useful. Apple could be so much more if they would open up.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]BOYCOTT APPLE![/citation]
lol, any excuse will do! sadly with apple, all of the excuses are usually more than justified.

mrkenan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I think the problem is with AT&T on this one. It would actually be more profitable for Apple if they could open up their iPhone to these other services but AT&T has them on a short leash with their contract and all.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
its more of an apple problem than at&t
apple could just tell them to shut up or else they won't renew their exclusive contract
that would hurt at&t a lot more than it would hurt apple
so at&t really has no pull, its all apple

G

I believe that this revoke is just intended to Google, which represent a kind of treath, because otherwise why they wouldn't have revoked the VoIP iApps present in the Appstore Sipphone, 12connect, iNomado, Truphone.. Or was it the intention of Apple to let them in for a while and then to revoke them all? Why not.
But Apple is more intelligent than that and they probably are trying to find the good arguments to explain why Google Voice was "incompatible" with the Dev program..

G

"Apple stated that the applications were removed because they duplicate features that already come with the iPhone." If so, they should also remove all the games & musics that on apple store...Cos all games appears to be same features (just to play) and all music to be same features (just to listen) too. Nice work bad APPLE...

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]BOYCOTT APPLE![/citation]

This has nothing to do with Apple. It has to do with AT&T not wanting people so send text messages through another provider.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Look, instead of customer deciding whether to use skype or google voice (we all know, how hard it is, to make decisions, right?) Mr Jobbs bears this burden.

Isn't this brilliant?

G

Most of the people who are commenting and saying to Boycott Apple seem a little ignorant. There is a contract between Apple and AT&T. The decision is most likely an instance of honouring the contract.

If I read correctly, Apple may be opening up to other carriers in 2010/2011 when their current contract expires.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Look, instead of customer deciding whether to use skype or google voice (we all know, how hard it is, to make decisions, right?) Mr Jobbs bears this burden.Isn't this brilliant?[/citation]

Of course it's Apple's doing. They may be financially influenced by ATT and their contract agreement but in the end its Apple's Store and they have NEVER done anything they don't want to whether its good or bad. They just have a thin justification for pulling the apps but its thinly veiled and way to obvious to hide they are just thinking about money and not about their users. This is what makes people irate. Two major rules Apple continues to break with disabandon in the consumer market. They tell their customers what to do and treat them like idiots.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
It's all crap. Where are all of the choices? Eventually it will only be Verizon and AT&T and that's it. It's like cable tv. Two choices. One cable company or the dish. Here in Florida where we have afternoon thunderstorms on a daily basis, having a dish is useless. I'm currently on AT&T and I hate their pricing. It's all over the map. One phone is charged more for unlimited data than another. Data is data. Whether I check my email on a Blackberry or my LG, it's the same data. It's all crap and we are stuck to pick between two carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.