Apple Replaces Paper Signs with iPad 2s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
They could use mini-holodecks for that matter, I would still not give my money to Jobs.

Re: hardware restrictions on the "new" signage: it bodes well with the rest of the store, as the entire Apple environment is restrictive. Guess the drones will feel at home.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]chris217[/nom]@distanted: When you require your employees to agree not to commit suicide in your contracts, it's a little more than AN industrial accident imo.[/citation]
If your comment is meant to hold Apple accountable for the suicides of 14 employees in a contracted factory othat employs at least 300,000 employees (according to Wikipedia) you might want to add Acer, Amazon, Asus, Intel, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Nintendo, Nokia, Microsoft, Sony Ericsson and Vizio to your list of blood companies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
such a waste of tech...believe it or not we still need to use paper for some things...think of all the electricity wasted...i am sure that those things stay on 24/7...how many of these so called pads does apple have turned on?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Looks like a pointless gimmick meant to create news articles like this and maybe attract one or two new customers to the stores....

What's wrong with old fashioned signs and brochures? Why let the customer play with an electronic gimmick when he could be talking to a sales person?

G

if they truly wanted to innovate and save paper and electricity then e-Ink is the way, an e-Ink sign is as good as paper, legible in any lighting condition, can be updated and uses zilch electricity juice when idling

the really stupid thing is, these are advance gadgets (with a built in display for the majority), they are more then capable of displaying their specs and price tag to the shopper, why the hell do you need a separate device to do it for them, come on now, it cant be that hard to plonk a simple what am i and how much i cost button on the app screen on the actual display model itself......

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I am curious what the break-even point to such a move is - compare the cost of maintaining a printer, the energy for the printer, toner, employee time, paper cost, etc of paper tags to the cost of the iPad, casing, electricity, employee time to change the signs, etc.

I also wonder what the impact might be with bait-and-switch pricing is, especially if the employee can change the pricing on a sign via wifi and thus make a $199 on sale object to $299 after a customer selects it then questions the price at the register... Not saying they would do this, only that it becomes possible (much like BestBuy utilizing an internal web site to have different pricing compared to its external web site).

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
It's a cool idea.

However Apple will follow its standard business model, not really change anything, add speakers and call it innovative.

Kind of like it did when it added a camera and video recording to the iPhone 3GS when nearly every phone on the market already had the capability.

kriminal

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
just to note typical Mac haters, foxconn makes parts for almost all boutique PC sellers currently.. E.G. Dell, and thier motherboards are usually rebranded under companies like XFX and so on..
using an explosion in one of it factories producing ipads as a reason not to buy apple is... retarded...
just saying...

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
This is just so Apple can introduce "dynamic" pricing. The price of products will automatically increase when traffic is high, and lower when traffic is low. Maximum milking of Apple worshippers.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
@blurr91:

I think you got it right.....I know a while back I read an article on this type of thing where companies were going to "float" pricing on items depending on web hits and purchases, the more hits and purchases the higher the price will go, not in weeks or days like years ago, but within hours and minutes.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I openly admit I am not an Apple Fan boy truth be told I don't own a single apple product I don't even run quicktime on my PC but even I know when you can't make enough product to keep up with demaind you don't take what product you do have and make then store displays

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]belezeebub[/nom]I openly admit I am not an Apple Fan boy truth be told I don't own a single apple product I don't even run quicktime on my PC but even I know when you can't make enough product to keep up with demaind you don't take what product you do have and make then store displays[/citation]

I can see it all now
Customer "how much for the new Ipad 666"
Sales person "let me consult the New SJ-117A AI " Based on supply and demaind the current number of employees at Foxconn that have lept from high windows and your Credit score and Debt to income ratio the Ipad 666 will cost you 2899" (this offer good for the next 12 seconds only

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
$700 bucks for replace... what a POS?
Great idea... if you forget everything about security.

You need a secure point to store this special data... and since "apple" include extra cost... don't worth it.

Replace a iPad by another iPad... now you dig all credit card.
Easy to buy without any questions from Apple Store.
Could simplify user to user transaction.
But at the end, iPad look great but.. it's not a commercial product.

He could be integrate as POS but it's not really a good idea mix-up commercial product and user product.

Status
Not open for further replies.