Apple Reveals Game Center Device Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
This is the problem with buying into (literal, not figurative sense) such a rapidly developing world.

Welcome to the world of smartphones, sorry about your wallet.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
So only iPhones with 1 year and 3 months or less are compatible. Fantastic.

Also there's something weird. The 2nd generation iPod Touch and iPhone 3G have basically the same hardware. Is this a way to force users to upgrade to the iPhone 4 since their contract has just ended or is ending? Perhaps its the same reason they are slow with the iOS4.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
and who cares? They do it all the time - let's skip and move on - people having iPhones will upgrade anyway... Why we have to hear about it?

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Yet another wanna be Steam.Apple had a taste of the goodness of Steam and thus wants to corrupt it with greed.[/citation]

Then file a lawsuit against them for infringement.

razmanugget

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Why be upset about unsupported features on old tech (3G)?

Sure, they want you to upgrade, but if I apply the same logic to a computer, then I wouldn't expect hardware purchased 2+ years ago to be able to run today's games comfortably. The purchase decision was based on the machine being able to play games developed at that point in time.

Yes, I hope to see the useful life of my machine/phone extend beyond the date of purchase, but with the speed of improvements we're seeing in the mobile market, I figure upgrading hardware is part of the process in order to get the most value from the latest software/OS developments. Seriously, who here is still using a laptop/desktop (as their main machine) that hasn't been updated in 2+ years?

Rami

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Yet another innovation by Apple for the wannabes (Android) to follow! If Google released this same thing for Android, you nerds would be singing a much different tune.

Keep being jealous.

kenwheeler77

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]razmanugget[/nom]Why be upset about unsupported features on old tech (3G)?Sure, they want you to upgrade, but if I apply the same logic to a computer, then I wouldn't expect hardware purchased 2+ years ago to be able to run today's games comfortably. The purchase decision was based on the machine being able to play games developed at that point in time. Yes, I hope to see the useful life of my machine/phone extend beyond the date of purchase, but with the speed of improvements we're seeing in the mobile market, I figure upgrading hardware is part of the process in order to get the most value from the latest software/OS developments. Seriously, who here is still using a laptop/desktop (as their main machine) that hasn't been updated in 2+ years?Rami[/citation]

I still have 2 iPhone 3G's that are both under 2 years old and thus still under contract (and yes, they run dog slow on iOS 4). Also, my 2 year old PC can play newer games just fine. It sounds like you need a new video card.

My laptop is a little over 2 years old now, still dual core, runs windows 7, plays games with a discreet video card, 4 GB of ram, HDMI out, Blu-ray, can't find anything it won't do that I need it to do and I use it 8+ hours a day, 5+ days a week....

so you're telling me that I can't play or do anything on any of my rigs and I must upgrade?

Quick question.... Do you happen to work for Apple?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]razmanugget[/nom]Why be upset about unsupported features on old tech (3G)?Sure, they want you to upgrade, but if I apply the same logic to a computer, then I wouldn't expect hardware purchased 2+ years ago to be able to run today's games comfortably. The purchase decision was based on the machine being able to play games developed at that point in time. Yes, I hope to see the useful life of my machine/phone extend beyond the date of purchase, but with the speed of improvements we're seeing in the mobile market, I figure upgrading hardware is part of the process in order to get the most value from the latest software/OS developments. Seriously, who here is still using a laptop/desktop (as their main machine) that hasn't been updated in 2+ years?Rami[/citation]

My computer has two years and seven months and can still play the games of today quite smoothly. It all depends on the hardware you bought.

Of course if you bought a cheap computer that barely plays the games when you made the purchase. Then two years ahead the computer won't play some games properly in two years time. But even so many of the games do, unless it was a really cheap computer that was always useless at playing games.

Using this analogy means that the iPhone 3G was an inferior product even for the time when it was launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.