Apple Reveals iPhone 4S for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]indoil[/nom]What will the AT&T pricing scheme be for those of us who bought the iPhone 4 at the beginning of its cycle in June 2010 and are less than 16 months into the 2 year contract?[/citation]

They're good about allowing a "full upgrade discount" for renewing your 2 year contract, despite the fact that your current contract isn't up.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
The phone will run on Apple's iOS 5, which will be released for other users on October 12.
At which point every iPhone prior to 4S will slow to a crawl. Would not be surprised if they pulled that again.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Trolls please return to your room.

Inefficient Android phones with projector-sized screens + sitting next to a wall socket all night = Basement dweller match made in heaven.

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Asking questions to your phone, hmm. I like the idea, it needs to work flawlessly though to be anything other than a one use gimmick.
Other than that, nothing impressive or worth the media hype.

G

No thanks Apple. You're not the latest and greatest mobile operating system anymore. You used to be. But not anymore. There're now viable options. The andriod operating system is almost just as impressive while not as flashy. Microsoft's mobile operating system is also very much impressive just the same and in my opinion, the best so far. Siri is indeed interesting. I for one cannot wait until voice controlled ai's invade every facet of my life i.e. being able to tell my lights to shut-off instead of "flicking it" off. However I'm tempted to wonder if this technology is truly ready and viable for everyday use. There are still kinks in voice recognition that still make it very inefficient-the reason it still has not invaded every single facet of my life or everyone elses-so I don't think Siri is worth me passing up on other offerings. HTC's Titan or Samsung's new Focus S are two that are looking quite irresistable at the moment. Oh, so many great options and choices; I heart it :) Some recession we're in huh?? Yea, okay. haha

G

I think I'm switching from Android (EVO 4G currently) for this one...

G

Why are people complaining about a 3.5" screen? If anything, a bigger screen means easier to crack and takes up a bunch of space in your pocket. I'm planning to switch from my Galaxy S to this when it's available.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]danbfree[/nom]So no 4G on Sprint or Verizon yet, fail...[/citation]

What exactly is the definition of 4G? Does one even exist? I've always wondered about that.

They claim the 4s will hit 14mbps, which is 1.75 MegaBytes/second. This seems damn good to me, and if it's not "4g" then so be it. It's still more than good enough for a cell phone.

G

The design of the iPhone 4 or 4S is nice, but I question the durability. I skipped the 4 after seeing one that was attached to a security tether and had a snapped glass corner. I've dropped my 3GS plenty of times and there has never been concern over snapping plastic or it shutting off permanently.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]itzdanielp46[/nom]Really not happy about the fact that Apple still hasn't integrated LTE antennas into the phones. Especially since the technology was out (and being used) prior to the iPhone 4. What is taking them so long?[/citation]

There was an issue with the current LTE chips where the power draw and the form of the chip did not fit well into the design. Also there is an issue with AT&T not having launched anything. I would like to have LTE as well and will wait till the 5 comes out but I understand why they are doing it this way. AT&T is just getting around to launching LTE and only in 5-6 locations. Apples strategy is to have a single device that can support multiple carriers.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]At which point every iPhone prior to 4S will slow to a crawl. Would not be surprised if they pulled that again.[/citation]

When did that happen? Are you talking about when they released the new version of IOS that had higher hardware requirements and caused older phones to be a bit slower. Does that not happen on every game ever developed? At least they released updated versions that resolved the issue with the older devices.

G

7x faster graphics on a 3" screen BFD. Until they increase screen size this phone will remain obsolete to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.