Apple Says DoJ's eBook Antitrust Case Fundamentally Flawed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
"Apple now argues that its entry into the eBook sector has fueled the demand for eBooks by forcing Amazon and other rivals to compete more aggressively. This means releasing new hardware and raising eBook prices."

normally, competition among rival companies leads to a DROP in prices in whatever market segment the competition is being fueled...

Apple logic: It's shiny and "innovative"! MUST PAY MOAR!

oparadoxical_

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]Apple is fundamentally flawed[/citation]
I was going to say this.

But seriously, Apple and their practices are getting so corrupt it's ridiculous.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I seriously love my iphone, but over the past year everything that has come to light since steve jobs (yes i know it was ovious before this but i wasnt paying attention then) im competely coming off of apple products

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]Apple is fundamentally flawed[/citation]

...from their support and use of near slave labor (Foxconn) to their anti-competitive attitude across the entire industry to their exploitation of near religiously loyal customers.

I have not had any Apple product since my 2nd gen iPod nano. I refuse to even install iTunes or Quicktime on any machine I have, or support it in any way for my friends and family members. If they say they're having trouble with iTunes, I tell them to uninstall it.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sp0nger[/nom]I seriously love my iphone, but over the past year everything that has come to light since steve jobs (yes i know it was ovious before this but i wasnt paying attention then) im competely coming off of apple products[/citation]
Steve Jobs reality distortion field that was protecting Apple is gone, now you can see what was being disguised before.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Anyone who falls for Apple and its propaganda needs to go for an IQ test. Apple makes it easier and easier for average IQ people to distance themselves from anything having to do with Apple.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Anyone who falls for Apple and its propaganda needs to go for an IQ test. Apple makes it easier and easier for average IQ people to distance themselves from anything having to do with Apple.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This is really weird. I thought Apple would say they agreed completely with the Doj's accusations and that they were sorry and have now seen the error of their ways. To demonstrate their sincerity they plan to impose penalties on themselves including the removal of 3 scholarships and a self-imposed ban from postseason play in 2013.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Apple's logic is similar to a strategy initially employed by News of the World when the phone hacking scandal broke. They said that they were doing it for the public good.

Well guess what. You don't get to decide you're allowed to break laws for the good of the public. The laws are laws, and you have to obey all of them. Whether or not you had good intentions is irrelevant.

Price fixing is illegal. Apple colluded to fix prices. Thus Apple broke the law. This is all that matters.

If Apple wants to claim they did not collude, that's a different story, but saying they should be allowed to do so is just going to hurt their case, just like it did for News of the World.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Lol. They forced people to be competitive by RAISING prices? Typical Apple. Sadly that's what they did to the smartphone industry too.

What justifies $600+ for a phone? I can build a PC/buy a laptop in that much!

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I really hope this case isn't dropped and the DoJ sees Apple's argument like it really is: complete and utter bull. Absurd that anyone would think price fixing is a positive thing when the price is being increase by over 50%, outpricing even the physical copy. Amazon was doing a great thing by giving the world cheaper ebooks then Apple shows up with their greed and in a day some ebooks went up in price by as much as $7. F*** Apple

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]JimmyJohnz[/nom]http://i.imgur.com/SDyoT.jpg ----> My entire opinion on this matter.[/citation]

LOL @ "Books 4 Lyfe"

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
So Apple's response is to say that "entering the market as another competitor is allowed". Well, yes. However the argument isn't that you started competing, it's that you price fixed. There is no flaw there, good luck with that argument.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I find it funny that these electronically delivered publications now cost more than print media.

Look up the paperback version of a book your about to download and more and more often you're going to find the paperback costs less. That's screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.