Apple Shipping Jailbreak-proof iPhones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Nothing is unhackable. It may be more difficult, to the point that it may seem impossible. As long as you can connect it to a computer, you can alter it somehow.

That doesn't mean someone will be able to hack it, and there being no hack doesn't mean it can't be done. Just nobody found it yet. And maybe the right people weren't looking because the truly technically savey are more drawn to less restricted devices, and of those that try to hack it it is because they are drawn by the challenge and not the device itself.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]You'll be surprised how many companies lock down their devices these days. Even companies like Archos who use Linux heavily lock down the device. The new firmware is unhackable.[/citation]

No... just not enough people care about the archos to spend the time and money to hack into it. There were about 45 million iPod touches and iPhones out in the wild in July of this year and when 3.0 was released it was supposed to be "unhackable"... that is until about a week and a half later.

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Archos is an odd company. They try and come up with new markets then never run with it. I had the original Archos hard drive based MP3 player, which was the original MP3 player. It was a laptop hard drive with 4 rechargeable AA batteries built in. The thing was huge in today's standard, but I loved it. I used it till the HDD died, then I replaced it with a 40gb laptop one; at that time the largest iPod was still 20 gb!

But they never really upgraded it. It came out before the iPod, and when the first iPod came out it was just as big and bulky, but 3 times the price.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]another example of apple and their bs. apple can try to stop them but they will always fail.dont they know by now that its only a matter of time till they re-hack it. again and again[/citation]
+1. Not to mention people probably hacking (as in writing the actual code for the hack,etc) are probably smarter than the Apple people who worked on the iPhone,etc.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
The only way to hack proof the iPhone is to not sell it. I guarantee you that a new hack will come out, it'll be just a matter of time.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Does Microsoft let you run what ever software you want on your xbox 360, sony on the PS3, Nintendo on the WII? Didn't think so! So why all the big stink about apple and the Iphone. Hack windows and they arrest you under the digital millenium copyright act. But hacking the software in the phone is ok. Those who have sony or samsung or lg phones, do you hack those as well, I haven't heard any complaints about not being able to run whatever I want on my samsung or sony phone.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
If I cannot jailbreak the iPhone I purchase, then I will not purchase an iPhone. Apple needs to ask themselves whether they are hellbent on fucking over customers and their bottom line, or whether they would like to let their customers do what they want and protect their bottom line. My guess is they would like to protect their bottom line first, but it is hard to read a bunch of hippies, turned yuppies, turned hippies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
yes and it's perfectly fine that companies like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft to try to thwart jailbreaker/modders from their systems just because they're not Apple?

Common logic failure, just a really bad case of fanboyism or blind baseless hatred towards a company for no good reason at all?

Come on, get a life, device locking has been like this for years and not a lot of people are complaining and then all of a sudden Apple does it too and then people all go "WTF dude?!?!". Get real, these companies will always do it and it will always get hacked. That's just the vicious cycle.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]So why all the big stink about apple and the Iphone.[/citation]

Because little boys love to hate something, particularly if they don't see why everyone else doesn't hate it as well. In most cases, this goes away once hair begins to grow between their legs. In others, however, it continues throughout their fast-food career.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
it seems Apple is entwined in the classic struggle to keep their device predictable and reliable ... yet still useful and desirable.

i'm betting at least part of their anti-jailbreak efforts relate to meeting "good faith" protection clauses in existing partnership contracts (eg AT&T).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]I give it two weeks, TOPS, before they are jail broken... again.[/citation]
Two weeks?
You don't have much confidence in the crackers, do you?

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]ChuvelxD[/nom]Half the reason anyone got an i product was because of jailbreaking and hacking. [/citation]

This I would seriously doubt... I'd believe the percentage of people "jailbreaking" their phone is not very large, compared to those who don't or have never heard of the term. Half of the reason people buy/bought an iPhone is because it's a neat phone produced by Apple and it makes them feel "cool".

hksduhksdu

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
This is a very good commercial to sell even more iPhone cuz people don't believe this kind of "proof" and believe it's even safer to get it now since this commercial is out, the hackers will work harder to get it done sooner.

BTW, I guess the ones, who invented the "jailbreaker-proof", may actually work in the Dev-Team at the night time? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.