Apple: Sorry, No Siri for Older iPhones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

$20 = hardware not power enough to support for the upgades.
$200 = ok

codefuapprentice

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks Apple i know what my next phone won't be.
I like my 3GS i really do, but their contempt towards their customers is just appalling, those little green robots are sounding more appealling now :)

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]this and the fact that majority of iPhone 4S users think it's a 4G device...[/citation]

What exactly is the defined speed for a 4G device?

My 4s has been getting between 6.5 and 7 mbps down, which is faster than most "4g" devices I see around.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Makes no sense. They despise it when users jailbreak their phone, yet they omit features that clearly work on older phones if the user chooses to jailbreak their phone. It's like Apple is fighting itself.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]There's NOTHING new? It has the same look and feel as the older models but there is new "stuff". . Get your facts straight before you comment!!![/citation]

Yep, there's nothing new. Faster CPU, GPU and a bit better camera - SO?! When SGS2 was released, it gained USB-on-the-Go, bigga screen, LED flash (didn't have before)... THAT's new "stuff". Gaining a few more fps in Angry Birds is not. I wouldn't give a $h!t about Samsung phones, but they kept asking their customers on FB/Twitter/etc. about what they want in a new phone (SGS2) and added it ALL, except battery life - thanks to the stupid thin trend introduced by crApple. THAT is customer loyalty... unlike some other company (Nokia) that asked its customers about what they want in the next phone after N8 and STILL hasn't done it.

@ Tom's: here's some actual news you can post instead of chewing on this Siri BS:

1) Adobe drops development of Flash Player on mobile devices and invests moar into HTML5 and PC content
2) Nokia is going to release a "flagship" device by Q2 2012 which will have ridiculous 1GHz CPU and 512 RAM but will have a great camera
3) Mass Effect 3 info leaked along with the beta
4) MW3 benchmarks - for teh lulz

In other words, get busy.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Makes no sense. They despise it when users jailbreak their phone, yet they omit features that clearly work on older phones if the user chooses to jailbreak their phone. It's like Apple is fighting itself.[/citation]
It's all about control and power over their market. They get people to blindly follow and take their word on things (just because it's them saying it, why would they lie?), often disapproving of questions/other means of doing things (like jailbreaking). Needlessly upgrading, stuff like that. In that way it's remarkably like a religion. Appleology perhaps? If you blindly follow you're an iSheep?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
@Monkeysweat -- come on ... That is Apple's whole design behind MAC OS. There are tons of computers out there that will run Mac OS (hence the OSX86 project). Apple just forces their hardware down your throat. Same x86 hardware, double the price and 'chip' the motherboard for MacOS authenticate. This whole thing is a fabricated scenario. But then again, Dell isn't much better when it comes to laptop power supplies as their are 'chipped' too.

More fuel for the fire to make me feel better about my switch from iPhone 3GS to a Galaxy 2

(*) Can replace battery for $12.

(*) Can add your own 32G SD card for $50. Apple has to be so stupid for not offering removable storage as they make 30% of the app market.

(*) can tether without having to jailbreak or sign up for stupid tether plan (on apple you had to play the jailbreak vs can't update to try new apps game)

(*) no itunes BS. Google music blow it away in terms of portability,

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]What exactly is the defined speed for a 4G device?My 4s has been getting between 6.5 and 7 mbps down, which is faster than most "4g" devices I see around.[/citation]

Lol downvote me without providing any logical response? Typical TH bullshit.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]egidem[/nom]Obviously they know that it works on older devices, they just choose to ignore it and lie to everyone's face thinking that they're dumb enough to believe it.[/citation]

My guess is that they do not want to provide the support, and firmware updates that may be required. It is nothing new in the computer industry to see apps that will run only on newer hardware or hardware that meet certain specs. No big deal really, but with all of the hate then Tom's can make a trivial issue into something "big" and this in turn drives revenue. Some of these "writers" should do less copy-paste and think a little and add some valid analysis to the articles that they post.

ickarumba1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Apple is lying, of course. Siri can run on any device with iOS 5. I think what they are scared of is that their servers are incapable of running Siri on more devices. Just look at the recent server downtime. Apple is either too cheap to build more servers, or lacks the bandwidth for Siri to run on other devices than the 4S.
Either way, it is sad that they would treat customers this way, but Apple has always strictly followed a planned obsolescence pathway for releasing new devices.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
"Engineering has provided the following feedback regarding this issue:
Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices."

In other words:
"Siri only works on iPhone 4S because we added hardware ID detection so it will ONLY with with the 4s and we currently have no plans to support older perfectly capable devices coz we're a pack of bastard douchebags."

G

Already known by most that Apple is infamous for releasing new stuff that has minium if not useless advances dub as "revolutionary" or "game changing". Do i really gotta extend my contract and pay extra just to get Siri? No thanks, I'd rather drop my money on something more worth it than a expansion of my existing phone. New processor to make the same phone calls and run the same apps? Nah, upgrading my desktop or laptop seems more worth it. Not surprised if the next upgrade would be a 1 cm larger screen, bigger camera lense, and a screen saver for when im not using my phone as a main feature to buy the iphone 5 at full contract price.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices

That sounds like Apple so much. Fuck the people, welcome the money. But make believe you
are for the people. Sounds like the rat that blows before biting its victim. Apple is a parasite that must be stopped cold.

ickarumba1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Apple used to be the small business, who criticized 'big bad' Microsoft's business practices. They used to represent the 'little guy', the customers.
Now, they're this huge money-hungry corporation with no respect for their customers, which makes the hypocrites.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Ah apple one day your fan bois will wake up and stop buying your products. Having to purchase a brand new iphone everytime they get released to get all its new features is just insulting peoples intelligence.
Locking out everyone else with your older phones is delibarate.....wake up people you are being ripped off.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"What exactly is the defined speed for a 4G device?My 4s has been getting between 6.5 and 7 mbps down, which is faster than most "4g" devices I see around."

Turn off WiFi first, then test. Actually, gain an understanding of how wireless cell signals work first. There can be no minimum specified speed because it will always decrease when the signal weakens due to distance.
Anyhow, if you compare the technologies within the 4s to the 4g standard, it fails to meet the specifications, ergo it is not 4g. But this doesn't matter to you. You'll defend Apple anyways. So typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.