Apple Successfully Gets ITC to Ban Certain HTC Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenlead

Distinguished
My Windows Mobile 2003 PDA's had this functionality. Really..? I don't even.

Honestly, how can these kind of court cases go through? Oh, wait, that's right...lawyers write the law for lawyers and don't have knowledge or regard for science and technology.

You shouldn't be able to write, change, or interpret law in a field unless you have some kind of assurance of understanding of what goes on in that field. Otherwise you end up with SOPA.

slybadabing

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
It's a Function, not a Patent....
Gee, why are they giving patents for any shit like that...it's no technology, it s just first who did it.

We all walk and eat, and no first one to patent it and forbids others to do so....

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Jesus, Honestly? I feel like bastardizing some mobile OS, probably Ice Cream Sandwich, just to make sure it infringes on every single patent available, especially Apple's.

How ridiculous, I would like to know if they only patent the 'end functionality' like "transmits phone number to alternate application" , OR if they patent a specific method of coding to do so. My guess is the former, which would seem pretty awful.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Apple is GAY.Stick that in your pipe and smoke it iFanboys....[/citation]
No offense to gay people. This patent trolling has nothing to do with them. This tech was available for many years, and now Apple thinks they actually invented it. Despicable practice on their part.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]My Windows Mobile 2003 PDA's had this functionality. Really..? I don't even.Honestly, how can these kind of court cases go through? Oh, wait, that's right...lawyers write the law for lawyers and don't have knowledge or regard for science and technology. You shouldn't be able to write, change, or interpret law in a field unless you have some kind of assurance of understanding of what goes on in that field. Otherwise you end up with SOPA.[/citation]
The patent was filed in 1996 and granted in '99. I've seen some 'internet experts' stating that there's some prior art concerning this and the patent could be invalidated but I doubt HTC will bother considering it's such a minor feature. Of course, my blackberry has it and I have used it.

G

FRAK YOU APPLE!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR DEVICES BECAUSE OF THIS!!!!

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Personally, I don't consider this a minor feature and I wish HTC would fight it. I love being able to click on a phone number in an email or a webpage and immediately dial. Especially since Android (or at least my thunderbolt), doesn't have a txt input area to be able to Paste a copied number like my old iphone did. If they do away with the clickable phone number number feature, then I hope the bring in the feature to paste numbers into the dial box.

Of course, I'm rooted and romed with BAMF Forever, so maybe I can just ask them to put that feature in?

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]FRAK YOU APPLE[/nom]FRAK YOU APPLE!!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR DEVICES BECAUSE OF THIS!!!![/citation]

And you've bought how many Apple devices so far?

markheber

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]If this is how business is done, I don't want to live in this world anymore.[/citation]
This is exactly how business has been done for over 100 year. Look at the patent law suits at the beginning of the auto and the airplane. This is the same. Eventually things will settle down.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Why the hell aren't the media (including THG) actually reporting this accurately.
Instead of the ACCURATE story that Apple only won 1 out of the 4 suits it filed and HTC has already passed using the old android version that the single apple win was filed against, we get this bullshit APPLE WINS AGAINST HTC type headlines. For gods sake, I wish reporters would just, you know, report. Not make shit up that is partially or entirely a false reading of the situation.

Basically, apple spent a shit ton on lawyers and LOST 3 out of the 4 claims against HTC who have essentially won the 4th because they no longer ship any products based on the version of android that apple was whinging about.
Its loose-loose for apple, and yet if you believe the media, apple wiped the floor with HTC!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]I love Apple articles...doesn't matter what it is about, always guaranteed to have the haters come out of the woodwork..[/citation]

Sometimes with good reason, i think this defiantly qualifies as one of the times its appropriate. The patent system is flawed and everyone knows it but some rotten companies uses the broken system to stay ahead of the competition their scared of. Rather than invest the resources into the products themselves they try to make sure they don't have to by this shady practices. You defiantly seem to like this abuse of the broken system, lawyer maby?

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]And I bet EVERYONE on this site has an apple product, (i have never and will never) so if you do you are f**king over other companys by buying crapple products![/citation]

I actually don't own any apple products. I'm glad, because of douchebaggery like this.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Good job Apple. Can't really complain when a company uses the system to it's advantage. We all do in our personal lives if we can, it's just when companies do it, its much larger and more likely to upset people with the numbers involved.. Especially when the average person can't honestly imagine or perceive numbers that large. And when Apple does it, the haters, I believe, have a painful reflash of their hemorrhoids, and they must take it out on a company that does no worse than any other company. They are all the same, they just pick various areas to be shady. Like Google and it's 2.4% tax for 2010, etc.

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]Good job Apple. Can't really complain when a company uses the system to it's advantage. We all do in our personal lives if we can, it's just when companies do it, its much larger and more likely to upset people with the numbers involved.. Especially when the average person can't honestly imagine or perceive numbers that large. And when Apple does it, the haters, I believe, have a painful reflash of their hemorrhoids, and they must take it out on a company that does no worse than any other company. They are all the same, they just pick various areas to be shady. Like Google and it's 2.4% tax for 2010, etc.[/citation]

Even as a clear apple fan boy, how can you be happy about a step back in convenience for users? If anything, this puts a nail in the coffin to NOT by Apple for me (and i was considering the iPhone4) because of stupid shit like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.