Apple Sued for Turning iPhone 3G's Into iBricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I don't think this is any "Conspiracy Theory". It's more like a case of apple being apple. As we all know, apple knows what is best for everyone and those that go against what they say are nothing more than miscreants and rabble rousers. Then again, if someone is so unhappy with the service they are getting or the way they are being treated, they should just switch to something else. There is nothing that the iphone can do that some other phone can't do except drain your wallet and start pushing you into the sheep pen. People that complain like this just to complain and try to make a quick buck regardless of who the target is are just as stupid IMO.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
A $700 "paper weight" LOL .

Once again, Apple's software restrictions causing problems for users. They'll learn...............eventually.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Poof while a I agree with part of what you said. I think this women actually has a good point, and I could understand a class action suit on this. Now if Apple didn't make it so hard to go back to the IOS that worked that would be different. But doing this isn't right.. Sure you can go back, but you got to hack it void any warranty blah blah blah..

This lady has a legit suit. And I hope she wins maybe it'll make Apple think twice about their business practices. Probably not.. but it could..

gorillateets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
This doesn't surprise me. Thing is, if upgrade (strong word) to the iphone 4 you get screwed over by having Jobs tell you you're not holding it right. I don't know why everyone wants a crappy iphone anyways. You get shafted if your old phone is updated and shafted if you get the new iphone. I hope this lady takes a fair chunk of Jobs apple.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Even MS had to provide a downgrade to XP when they launched Vista... Come on Apple, don't suck on simple matters.

Cheers!

robula

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Good on her, I really hope she succeeds. Anything going against Apple is good in my opinion. I run a jailbroken 3G iPhone and even after stripping out parts and features of the iOS4.1 I still occasionally miss important calls because of the time it takes for the "Answer" button to work.

angelraiter

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
[citation][nom]haunted one[/nom]A $700 "paper weight" LOL . Once again, Apple's software restrictions causing problems for users. They'll learn...............eventually.[/citation]

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for apple to "learn".. Just saying.. :)

They've been doing this for decades now, don't think it will change anytime soon unless by some sort of miracle people stop buying their products.

I have an iPhone 4 and love it, but without the Jailbreak, it wouldn't be half the phone it is.. What bothers me is that we own the phone, not apple, if I want to use windows xp on my pc, I can, even older versions of MAC OSx can be installed on MACs, so why can't we have an older firmware on our phones?

It's just stupid.

elpaletero

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Yeah, my wife's 3g was practically unusable with OS4.x. It reminded me of using the internet with dial-up. I was able to go revert back to OS3.x using a method I found online. Apple should really make it easy for you to revert back to previous OS. It's not like they don't know about he problem. Why would I want to go out and buy the new iPhone if in a couple of years they're going to be doing the same thing all over again.

poppasmurf

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Apple will get their own soon, as did aol,they should look what happened to AOL's herding skills :-0 and maybe learn don't abuse the sheep by leaving them unattended!

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I am not saying I agree with it, because situations like this make it clearly too limiting of consumers who get stuck in this type of darned if you do/don't mess...

In the interest of the info itself though I believe they originally started preventing users from loading older ios versions because people would upgrade to a newer version that could not be jailbroken, realize what they'd done, and then go back to a version that could be jailbroken. This was even more effective when the phone started going nuts and needed to be backed up and reloaded...and the only option was a new os that would not jailbreak. In reality the jailbreaks have come out so quickly that it has not been an issue for many.

Last I checked, the only technical reason you can't go back to an older version is because there is a type of activation code itunes looks up when doing it, and apple stops providing the codes when a new os comes out. You can back up the code you have before a new os comes out and then run an app locally that pretends to be the code server, and still go back to an older version. This is true even if your phone was never jailbroken and I don't think they'd ever be able to tell. You just have to do the backup before the current version stops getting activated.

They may have added more blockades since then though...and I wouldn't know because: The preceding information has been brought to you by me getting tired of it all and selling my 3gs and getting an andriod, which has been easier to mess with so far.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]AngelRaiter[/nom]I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for apple to "learn".. Just saying..[/citation]
I reckon he was talking about the users, not Apple.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I admit I jumped on the bandwaggon (not by personal choice) and bought a 3GS last year. While impressive compared to the LG flip phone I used to own, it is far from 'bullet proof' and in fact is quite buggy in my experience. Even without the apparent care of the Apple approach, I feel that Apple's main goal is to make you feel like they are on your side and really care about you, but in reality they are like every other company and want to make as much money as possible. Not providing real support for users of 'old' hardware is just one way to accomplish that.

It would be like Microsoft dropping support for Vista once 7 was released. Surely Vista is no longer in the spotlight, but releases, patches, and updates still come out that benefit Vista users solely.

The only way Apple will 'learn' is when consumers no longer buy from them, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.