Apple Sues HTC Over 'Stolen Patented Inventions'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
So Apple has a patent as to what hardware that can be used in their phones only?

I guess we haveto tll the company that makes the CPU for the iPhone to stop sellinf them to the other phone makers.

In honesty, I think its just that some of the newer phones coming out with Android and the new WM7 will have more features and probably be better than the age old iPhone, so Apple is getting nervous.

dabell

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
This is one way Apple will attempt to stay ahead of the cellphone market. However, I can see this entire lawsuit failing.

Apple = HELL

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
So they sued HTC for pattens found in Android. Seems they are afraid to sue Google directly, the big guy. Very sneaky Apple! Picking on the little guys so other manufacturers will think twice before using Android, and possibly be threatened by patten litigation charges.

This will be veeery interesting. Grabbing popcorn.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
idk what steve jobs is freaking out about..the iphone is the only product that has become a national sensational product for them. everything else he sells is a ripoff. like the iPad?? oh my god come on..yeah thats really freakin creative right there. "OH LETS MAKE A BIG ASS IPOD TOUCH AND SELL IT FOR OVER TRIPLE FOR WHAT ITS WORTH!" what a worthless product..i hope they lose the lawsuit epically

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Patents are a stain on society. We could have flying cars by now, but patents won't allow us to progress that fast.[/citation]

If that were the case no one would innovate... Its money that drives silicon valley, not creativity.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
HTC uses a lot of customized software which is probably not directly related to android. I doubt they could sue HTC because a violation the OS made that's like apple suing HP for an microsoft windows infringement.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]If that were the case no one would innovate... Its money that drives silicon valley, not creativity.[/citation]
Who is innovating now? Technological progress is so slow it's become a bore to watch.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It's too bad patents have become what they are. They're no longer a specific invention, but a widespread set of ideas or theories. These are hard to patent because many people can think alike, and whoever gets the patent for their idea first wins.

It's unfortunate, however I'm guessing that Apple is suing not over the hardware used, but specifically HOW it is used in conjunction with the OS and other HW pieces.

As said above, the lawsuit is also most likely over custom software that is not specifically related to Android itself, but was developed by HTC.

As for suing Google, I think they would do it if they had reason, I don't think they're scared into not suing them. Suing Google would do a lot for them, Google is becoming their major competitor in the phone OS market, and until W7 Phone, Android is the only true competitor for the iPhone in terms of OS, although you could argue that Palm's WebOS has a fair share, but not nearly the majority Palm used to command in the PDA market.

Not that I agree with what Apple is doing totally, but I assume they have a decent reason with specific encroachments on their patents.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
So no one is allowed to make a touch screen phone that connects to the internet through 3g or Wi-fi other Apple huh?

I hardly see that as fair , the internet has no patents.

Processors have no patents.

ATi isn't suing Nvidia for making video cards.

Nobody is suing Matrox for making video cards.

Tilera isn't being sued for having made a 100 core processor.

Apple wants the whole damned world.

Status
Not open for further replies.