Apple Sues Samsung in Japan, Seeks $1.3M in Damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
To be fair, I wanted to buy the new Galaxy S2 (on contract) but the only thing holding me back is its design. It looks like a cheap iPhone copy. So I am waiting for another phone just as powerful or better.

hmolleta

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
@bv90andy
I own a Galaxy S and i don`t use the default interface, I installed the default Android launcher, it`s better than TouchWiz.

Galaxy SII is the most powerful hardware now a days!!! and I want one!!!

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Why dont Samsung pull the same stunt in Europe as Apple has? If Apple has infringed on Samsung patents then get a German court to halt imports of iPhones and iPads.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]hmolleta[/nom]@bv90andyI own a Galaxy S and i don`t use the default interface, I installed the default Android launcher, it`s better than TouchWiz.Galaxy SII is the most powerful hardware now a days!!! and I want one!!![/citation]
I am not even talking about the UI the s1 looks a bit less then an iPhone, because of the visible buttons. I loved the thinness and power of the S2, but I don't like how it looks, and I won't pay 2 years for a phone with a copied design.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]I'm not sure, but don't you think this would be 1.3 billion (not million). Why would they bother for 1.3 million?[/citation]
http://coinmill.com/JPY_USD.html
Enter 100,000,000 and hit convert
Yes, the Japanese currency really has such a strange exchange rate

But I agree with the sentiment, why the hell would Samsung worry about a poxy $1.3 million, just get a court settlement with non-guilt admission, pay the legal fees and recoup the whole lot in about a week when it goes back on sale.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]I'm not sure, but don't you think this would be 1.3 billion (not million). Why would they bother for 1.3 million?[/citation]

My guess would be attorney's fees. If they can win this lawsuit they might be awarded the fees which would be a couple times higher than 1.3 million. Also it just annoys Samsung.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I remember the days when more than a few people preferred apple because of evil microsoft corporation's anti-competitive practices.

Ezence

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006

I believe they want the injuction to stop Samsung from selling their products in Japan. The 1.3 million is just icing the cake.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]...but I don't like how it looks, and I won't pay 2 years for a phone with a copied design.[/citation]
Not liking the design is your business but enlighten us how in your eyes is it a "copied design"?
In fact leaked photos of the supposedly new version of iphone 4s/5 have a rectangular not square middle button --- yes just like Samsung so is Apple now copying Samsung with your logic?

G

I can understand Apple launching legal battles against Samsung in Europe and Australia as these countries are naturally more friendly towards America than Korea. But launching suit in Japan is a bold move. I suppose Apple is counting on Japan government is also unhappy about rise of Korea which undermines their own companies such as Sony. I wonder when Apple will feel cocky enough to try to bring this to Korea court.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Ezence[/nom]I believe they want the injuction to stop Samsung from selling their products in Japan. The 1.3 million is just icing the cake.[/citation]
So it's the headline that is essentially wrong.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Damn Samsung, I know you are making bank off selling parts to apple, but pull the plug and watch them sequel. Maybe they will fire some lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS