Apple Sues Samsung in Japan, Seeks $1.3M in Damages

Status
Not open for further replies.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
To be fair, I wanted to buy the new Galaxy S2 (on contract) but the only thing holding me back is its design. It looks like a cheap iPhone copy. So I am waiting for another phone just as powerful or better.

hmolleta

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
@bv90andy
I own a Galaxy S and i don`t use the default interface, I installed the default Android launcher, it`s better than TouchWiz.

Galaxy SII is the most powerful hardware now a days!!! and I want one!!!

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
Why dont Samsung pull the same stunt in Europe as Apple has? If Apple has infringed on Samsung patents then get a German court to halt imports of iPhones and iPads.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]hmolleta[/nom]@bv90andyI own a Galaxy S and i don`t use the default interface, I installed the default Android launcher, it`s better than TouchWiz.Galaxy SII is the most powerful hardware now a days!!! and I want one!!![/citation]
I am not even talking about the UI the s1 looks a bit less then an iPhone, because of the visible buttons. I loved the thinness and power of the S2, but I don't like how it looks, and I won't pay 2 years for a phone with a copied design.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]I'm not sure, but don't you think this would be 1.3 billion (not million). Why would they bother for 1.3 million?[/citation]
http://coinmill.com/JPY_USD.html
Enter 100,000,000 and hit convert
Yes, the Japanese currency really has such a strange exchange rate

But I agree with the sentiment, why the hell would Samsung worry about a poxy $1.3 million, just get a court settlement with non-guilt admission, pay the legal fees and recoup the whole lot in about a week when it goes back on sale.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]I'm not sure, but don't you think this would be 1.3 billion (not million). Why would they bother for 1.3 million?[/citation]

My guess would be attorney's fees. If they can win this lawsuit they might be awarded the fees which would be a couple times higher than 1.3 million. Also it just annoys Samsung.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I remember the days when more than a few people preferred apple because of evil microsoft corporation's anti-competitive practices.

Ezence

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006

I believe they want the injuction to stop Samsung from selling their products in Japan. The 1.3 million is just icing the cake.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]...but I don't like how it looks, and I won't pay 2 years for a phone with a copied design.[/citation]
Not liking the design is your business but enlighten us how in your eyes is it a "copied design"?
In fact leaked photos of the supposedly new version of iphone 4s/5 have a rectangular not square middle button --- yes just like Samsung so is Apple now copying Samsung with your logic?

G

I can understand Apple launching legal battles against Samsung in Europe and Australia as these countries are naturally more friendly towards America than Korea. But launching suit in Japan is a bold move. I suppose Apple is counting on Japan government is also unhappy about rise of Korea which undermines their own companies such as Sony. I wonder when Apple will feel cocky enough to try to bring this to Korea court.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Ezence[/nom]I believe they want the injuction to stop Samsung from selling their products in Japan. The 1.3 million is just icing the cake.[/citation]
So it's the headline that is essentially wrong.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Damn Samsung, I know you are making bank off selling parts to apple, but pull the plug and watch them sequel. Maybe they will fire some lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.