News Apple tells over a billion iPhone users to stop using Chrome — here’s why

Jul 18, 2024
As much as I hate Apple, and as true as these claims about Chrome are...it begs the question...WHO are people afraid of being watched by and for what? If you have nothing to hide, you really wouldn't have any reason to be afraid of this ad right?

What this ad failed to ALSO mention is that most 3rd party trusted antivirus companies package VPN and browser cleaning into their apps, which works well enough to keep you safe and secure from the no-good do-ers.

For everyone else there's Firefox.

Whats more scary is a proprietary company trying to lock you into their version of a 'safe haven' and discouraging or even preventing you from using any other 3rd party software you want to use. Never understood how people are willing to compromise that and then also buy into this reverse scare-tactic Apple is using.

I don't have to use Chrome on my Android. But Apple users, guess what, there might come a time when the only browser they'll allow you to use is Safari, and they don't need a commercial for that. Food for thought!

Jul 18, 2024
If you have nothing to hide, you really wouldn't have any reason to be afraid of this ad right?
Only those people say "I have nothing to hide" who don't see how their freedom can be limited. See videos on YouTube like «Why Online Privacy Matters Even If You Have “Nothing To Hide”».

*Edit:* But I agree that privacy is a difficult thing on every platform.

pyronaut

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
I don't have to use Chrome on my Android. But Apple users, guess what, there might come a time when the only browser they'll allow you to use is Safari, and they don't need a commercial for that. Food for thought!
Didn't they already only allow you to use Safari on iPhone up until recently?

Jul 18, 2024
It's definitely worth remembering that Google remains fundamentally an advertising company, and chooses to pour vast amounts of money into developing Chrome and giving it away. The notion that they'd prioritize their users over their customers long-term is somewhat naive -- and their customers absolutely want that ability to track and personalize.

Jul 18, 2024
I think the biggest thing apple could do to get mobile users onto Safari would be to bring back the Windows version. I'm sure many other cross platform users like myself resist Safari because we want our browsing experience to be synchronized between devices.