Apple Tries to Silence Owner of Exploding iPod

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hopiamani

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
When will companies learn that in the internet age, trying to silence or cover up an issue will only make things worse.

It's the same thing with video game publishers and review sites, apple and the laptop hunters ad. Time and time again, the news of your underhanded dealings will get out.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Warning : Dropping your iPod may cause it to blow up.[/citation]

But it shouldn't. Understandably, you should expect these gadgets to break when you drop them, but not EXPLODE. Devices like this that explode when dropped shouldn't pass safety testing, what if it had been dropped in a plane or petrol station or other fire sensetive area?

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]ca87[/nom]What did Mr. Stanborough do after refusing the money.............?[/citation]

He called a newspaper :)

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I'd make a website about my experience with pictures and possibly video. I'd tap into social networks and youtube to get the message out there. I'd send everything that I found to every press outlet in existence and I'd do it all for the purpose of seeking out others that have had their iStuff explode. Collectively we could go class-action, and should have no trouble finding a top-notch lawyer to sue the bejesus out of Apple.

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I agree that covering up the issue is complete idiocy, but it's nothing new for Apple. However, people need to understand that as batteries become more and more powerful, they contain more energy in a defined amount of space. Batteries are fragile, and when damaged, they can heat up and explode. Read the warnings on a box of Energizers or Duracells sometime.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
this is a issue with Lithium Polymer batteries and not directly with the icrap or any other device that uses them. this issue could also be replicated with Lithium Ion batteries if their casing is damaged. i can't stand apple or their icrap but the reality is this problem stems from the battery technology. take any old laptop battery and crush it or drop it on concrete and watch the pretty lights and smoke! LiPoly batteries are even smaller and pack a bigger punch! anyone that plays with airsoft guns can attest to this...

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Take the money and tell Apple to fuck themselves. Getting a refund for a defective product does not mean a corporation can require you to keep your mouth shut on the subject. I would love to see Apple try to do that to me.

eskimo_1

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
What a bunch of dodgy bastards!

Ipods are shit, my cousins got me one for my Birthday and wore out within 6 months of regular use... You can't replace the batteries without sending it back to the manufacturer and that costs around $200 in fees! Sooo glad i didn't buy it with my own money.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Apple is waaayyyyy more evil than any other tech corp (like, say, Microsoft?) with the exception of IBM, who is so huge they just buy a PR stealth field and stay out of sight... Still. Apple is charcoal black hearted EVIL, with a shiny white exterior and a misguided cult following to round out their evilness...

G

Well, a device like that isn't meant to be 'dropped'.
Still, I would have taken the refund, and bought another item.

It could be a local device issue, or it could be a problem with any device in that line.
Dropping the device voids warranty, and thus the right to sue apple for the loss of data.

I'd just live on with a better device; in some cases even buy the same device, and use it more careful next time.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Nothing new here. Apple does this all the time. From internet forum censorship to threatening people like this. Just another day for one of the most scandelous IT companies out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.