Apple Unveils New iPod Nano; Ultra Slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenlead

Distinguished
No pictures? what gives?
Who designs this crap? Still no user-serviceable battery? They finally put recording capability in the thing, but you have to get a microphone to use it.
Great. How many people do you know that carry around a microphone?

As for the new headphones..just wow. It's just another stupid feature they can put on the box that makes no difference in real life. Woofers that small are ineffective. Subwoofers are known for being huge...why? Because resonance is what they function on. You won't be able to hear it, but I can already hear the blind Apple-followers now..."yeah, it's got recording, and headphones with subwoofers..."

When Apple designs something that's functional and has more features than a $50 MP3 player, maybe I'll think about buying one.

G

"Within the Nano itself, Apple has now integrated an accelerometer, allowing horizontal viewing of album in Cover Flow mode. The Nano also uses the accelerometer to enable or disable shuffle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuffling mode — simple shake the Nano in your hands and songs will shuffle. Our take on this is that it’s a novel way to enable shuffling"

novel idea. seriouslly now. ever heard of sony ericcson. don't know if sony was the first but they sure did it before apple.

apaige

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
The screen isn't "widescreen" despite what Apple says. It's still 320x240 pixels, thus a 4:3 aspect ratio, like the previous nano. Even the pictures of the device on Apple's website show a 4:3 display (I actually measured!).

You'd think "journalists" would check their facts, or at the very least notice something so obvious…

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
so why exactly people love apple so much ???
seriously ? i understand they make good products... but amount of lie they put in, and their advertisement of the stupid mac pisses me off !

Anthony20022

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
As for the new headphones..just wow. It's just another stupid feature they can put on the box that makes no difference in real life. Woofers that small are ineffective. Subwoofers are known for being huge...why? Because resonance is what they function on. You won't be able to hear it, but I can already hear the blind Apple-followers now..."yeah, it's got recording, and headphones with subwoofers..."

First, there's a big difference between a woofer and a subwoofer, and second, many high end earbuds (like Shure) have a similar multi-speaker configuration (a few have two woofers and a tweeter).

The screen isn't "widescreen" despite what Apple says. It's still 320x240 pixels, thus a 4:3 aspect ratio, like the previous nano. Even the pictures of the device on Apple's website show a 4:3 display (I actually measured!).

I don't remember hearing or seeing anything from Apple (including the press release) saying that the Nano has a "widescreen" display. In fact, in the keynote, it was clearly stated that it has the same display as the previous model. My guess is that this is just an incorrect assumption by the author of this article.

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
This is the first time i think Apple have a gone a step backwards with the design. Up until now, even without ground breaking features a new iPod looked nice enough to be desirable. But now there's nothing to get the apple groupies' hearts stupidly racing. 16/9 is the future and they just turned their backs to it. Fo shame

frozenlead

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Anthony20022[/nom]First, there's a big difference between a woofer and a subwoofer, and second, many high end earbuds (like Shure) have a similar multi-speaker configuration (a few have two woofers and a tweeter).[/citation]

True, yes, but none of them will ever beat a pair of around-ear headphones. Also, this is apple - none of it is really high end, it's just in a pretty package. I severely doubt that their headphones will give much improvement over the last pair. It won't be able to make up for the crappy sound chip in it anyway.

And, by the way, iPods don't carry any ground-breaking features. Apple just markets them that way, and everyone believes them without a second thought. It's just another MP3 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.