Apple Wants to Friend Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Now the two companies will pair up to completely dominate stupid people's lives. What they used to to separately will be done together.

I pity the fools.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]iFacebookI'm sure Cook's thinking is, "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em".[/citation]
Eh, not really. If there is one thing Apple does really well, is that they don't enter markets they can't win. Social networking is one of those markets they can't win. I suppose you could say Ping is a social network, but honestly it is more of an experimental extension to iTunes, kind of like how Apple TV is an experimental addon product to iTunes.

If Apple is smart about it, they'll use Facebook to boost their other products (such as iTunes).

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I can see how it would be mutally beneficial.

Facebook at the moment has a group of people (idiots) ripe for the milking, and have someone turned Zynga into billion dollar company. But Apple would have the killer instinct of really profiting from that group of people.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
If Facebook plays it right it could takeover the music business and destroy the strangle hold of the record companies in one go, with bands selling their music directly via their Facebook page
If the Foo Fighters can sell hoodies and tshirts on Facebook it's only a matter of time before a download button appears then the artists will get all their money and the greedy record labels will get none, prices for consumers should drop as a result and thus reduce the people who pirate on general principle, which means there is no reason for the RIAA to exist either
Also means iTunes would pretty much get killed, but hey, i'm only talking silver lining here

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If Facebook plays it right it could takeover the music business and destroy the strangle hold of the record companies in one go, with bands selling their music directly via their Facebook page...If the Foo Fighters can sell hoodies and tshirts on Facebook it's only a matter of time before a download button appears then the artists will get all their money and the greedy record labels will get none, prices for consumers should drop as a result and thus reduce the people who pirate on general principle, which means there is no reason for the RIAA to exist either...Also means iTunes would pretty much get killed, but hey, i'm only talking silver lining here[/citation]

I like that thinking... then that will toss the need for SOPA or such bills like SOPA across earth ^_^ bc MPIAA and RIAA are the ones pushing those the hardest.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]I like that thinking... then that will toss the need for SOPA or such bills like SOPA across earth ^_^ bc MPIAA and RIAA are the ones pushing those the hardest.[/citation]
Reel off a list of who would benefit the most from this
1) Consumers
2) Artists

And the same list for those who would lose out or be made redundant
1) Greedy labels
2) Greedy agents
3) Greedy middlemen
4) RIAA, MPAA, MAFIAA
5) iTunes

I think we may be onto something here, as long as Facebook doesn't go all Apple and demand a cut of every sale.

G

I'm proud to say that I don't have a Facebook account and that last thing I bought from Apple was an iPod in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.