Apple Watch FAQ: Everything You Need to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdew

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Whilst the Apple watches might be a great improvement from different view points, I prefer the good, old, traditional watches. Just because you can replace something with newer technology doesn't mean you should. Just looks tacky!

jdew

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
I think the Apple watch will be an excellent product to have, it allows you to connect to your phone, think of all the problems it could fix. An example if someone cannot find their phone in their house, but there watch starts ringing, it allows the individual to answer the call without any problems or the phone being in front of them

JRB15

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
It is a lot better than carrying around a phone, whereas a phone is easy to lose because you put your phone down in loads of places. A watch is always on your wrist and you are less likely to lose it.

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

oh i agree! And JRB15 is right about the watch form in general, much more convenient - it's always on you! the Apple version will be interesting - it seems very full-featured.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
@JRB15 and @jdew, that assumes that you remember to put your watch on in the morning. Sleeping with a watch on is about as comfortable as sleeping with your glasses on. So if you're likely to forget to bring your phone with you, you're just as likely to forget to put your watch on. Not to mention that, since it needs the Bluetooth connection, it won't help if your phone is out of range (i.e. left it at your desk at work, left it in the car in the garage, left it at a friend's house, etc.).

The biggest downside is that, at $349, you get a universal remote that has a tiny screen & needs to be near your phone for the more useful things. If it was a stand-alone device that didn't require the phone connection, I might see the usefulness of it...but not the way it's described.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
It is a lot better than carrying around a phone, whereas a phone is easy to lose because you put your phone down in loads of places. A watch is always on your wrist and you are less likely to lose it.
Except the iWatch requires a tether to the iPhone, so has to remain within Bluetooth range (which may be rather limited since it is the BT LP tech).

bridogr1

Estimable
Mar 11, 2015
I tend to wear my watches pretty loose fitting. They will slide up and down some on my wrist. Will that cause a problem with apple watch? Or apple pay?

Joshua Glowzinski

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
So, for the watch edition, with the leather band, I have a question. The watch comes out to like 1.6 inches. Then, the band says it is like 8.5 inches. So. Would that make the entire thing 10.1 inches? They sell just the band and say it is 8.5 inches. So it must be. My band now is 9.3, but the watch itself is smaller. I am hoping the thing even fits my wrist.

bimmerfun

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
OF COURSE, the next gen will be better...but that's true for ANYTHING tech.
My plan is to buy the cheapest 42mm Sport, then sell it on Giselle (or whatever) for 1/2 of what I paid for it in 2 years, THEN buy the 2nd or 3rd gen stainless/saphire version...THEN keep it until it dies, or until something RADICALLY improved comes out. Actually, my only two gripes about the Apple Watch are...BATTERY LIFE and LACK OF A BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR...

bimmerfun

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
UH OH....
I did order a 42mm sport in Space Gray...BUT...
I think I'm going to "upgrade" to the Stainless w/Milanese loop...
I tried on BOTH and liked BOTH, but...
1. The sport band is a pain in the neck to put on.
2. I don't care about a few case scratches, but I DO hate a scratched screen...
The only watches I have that don't have scratched crystals have SAPPHIRE crystals. PERIOD...and I've tried them all...

Since (to me) one of the main points of a smart watch is a clear display...
I UNhapilly think I'm going to upgrade, but it's NOT because of the case or the style...
It's because of the BAND and the Sapphire crystal.

rgd1101

Don't

The articles said
"The Apple Watch runs a version of iOS that is simpler than its smartphone counterpart. You won't be able to make calls or use Web-based services from the watch without being connected to a compatible device (iPhone 5 and up, running the latest version of iOS 8). The Apple Watch pairs with iPhones via Bluetooth Low Energy and built-in Wi-Fi. "

So no, don't need it but most of the function would required one.

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Don't believe anything you read in these comments! I have been following this article from when it first appeared on Tom's Hardware. The comments were originally crammed (rightly so) with people pointing out the silliness of the Apple watch. Now it has reappeared with all the negative comments edited out, and a suspicious mass of positive comments at the beginning. Tom's Hardware has clearly been bought-up by Apple to post multiple positive articles about this product. Either that, or a rogue Apple-centric editor of these web pages is being a complete fool by obviously doctoring the comments. I used to respect Tom's Hardware, but now I realise what it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.