Apple Watch: Top 7 Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I was hoping to replace my garmin watch, but this has no built in GPS. Guess I'm waiting for the Apple Watch 2....

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
It looks better than I thought it would, with the customizable faces, but still meh! It seems too bulky for a fitness tracker. The rest just seems to duplicate what's already on your phone which takes a second to pull out of your pocket.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Of course consumers will pay a premium for their new device because they don't know any better. Pretty sure we all know most of Apple's customers are god-fearing suburban moms or kids who don't have the slightest idea of what a good brand is so they just pick what's popular and trending.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
One small detail I noticed that irked me was the inclusion of "316L Stainless Steel" on the caseback of the watch. 316L stainless steel is an industry standard in the watch industry with the notable exception of Rolex who "claim" 904L steel is better (because it's more resistant to corrosion- they must expect their wearers to put their watches in acid baths). Same with sapphire crystal, it's almost universal on watches worth more than a couple hundred dollars. I can only now imagine how many idiots will be walking around thinking they're all that because they're wearing 316L stainless steel and thinking that the word "sapphire" on the caseback translates into them owning some precious gemstone. Is this the best smartwatch so far? Probably. Are you a moron if you buy this versus spending the same money on an actual phone (or buy the 18k gold version even though the device will be obsolete in a few years)? Definitely.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Previously posted concepts looked a lot better than the final product. Expect abysmal battery life, unless all the "unique" features are turned off. Pretty much valid experience with all smart-watches so far. Not compelling enough to make me want to switch from my classic mechanical watch(es).

oczdude8

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Have to say im really excited about this. Not because im going to buy the iWatch, but because its going to instill competition and get the smart watch makers moving. I am sure companies like Samsung will really step up their game and make something nice. Smartphones are getting old, we need to innovate in other areas.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Have to say im really excited about this. Not because im going to buy the iWatch, but because its going to instill competition and get the smart watch makers moving. I am sure companies like Samsung will really step up their game and make something nice. Smartphones are getting old, we need to innovate in other areas.

Agree with your comment but it is not like Samsung hasn't tried. In 1 year they have released what 3-4 watches. It is almost like they are trying different concepts out and seeing what will stick before Apple gets theirs out.

Pretty sad actually, because now they have spent all the time, resources, and money only to be in the same place they would have been if they just waited. Samsung does much better taking a current concept and putting their own spin on it and improving it then trying to create something new all together.

I have no doubts that now that the cats let out of the bag that Samsung will have something interesting within the next few months possibly before AW even gets released to the public. Unfortunately they will need to wait for Google to release compelling software for this application first.

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Apple, why u no make it round?! Is it ok if that is the exact phrase that went though my head when I saw it? I think I've had too much internet.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Samsung better doesn't fall for this and tried to replicate the watch features. Apple might turn around and release a different watch and then claim in court that this is solid proof that Samsung shameless copied them all the time.

egill

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Agree with your comment but it is not like Samsung hasn't tried. In 1 year they have released what 3-4 watches. It is almost like they are trying different concepts out and seeing what will stick before Apple gets theirs out.

Pretty sad actually, because now they have spent all the time, resources, and money only to be in the same place they would have been if they just waited. Samsung does much better taking a current concept and putting their own spin on it and improving it then trying to create something new all together.

I have no doubts that now that the cats let out of the bag that Samsung will have something interesting within the next few months possibly before AW even gets released to the public. Unfortunately they will need to wait for Google to release compelling software for this application first.

I wouldn't say that the Apple Watch innovates in a meaningful way over the current crop of Android watches and that it invalidates Samsung's research. Rather, I would say it is a device that offers parity to Android offerings for Apple users.

With that said, these watches will remain meaningless to me until they have a reliable GPS in them to track runs without the need for a smartphone. Garmin, I am counting on you to make the best fitness smart watch for my needs!

G

Sorry i have huge hands and fingers and can use pinch features on the Samsung Galaxy Gear 2, Sorry Apple you could have done better on that excuse.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Honestly, I just don't get it. Why would you buy this when your phone or tablet have the same features with bigger screen? From someone who isn't an Apple fanboy, this product makes absolutely no sense to me.

K-beam

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
"you can also share your heartbeat, which will cause your friend's Apple Watch to buzz at the same rate as your heart"
A nice mini-polygraph for the (ab)use by our loving-ones :)

Status
Not open for further replies.