Apple Watch vs. Pebble Steel: What Should You Wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-XTC-

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Personally, I'm in love with Apple's design. It's just so sleek and smooth, in my opinion they get the vote for design hands down.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
pebble steel looks antiquated next to apple's watch. but i would purchase neither. my phone can do literally everything better than this watch. i can imagine myself fumbling around on the watch to get something done which would take half the time on a phone.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The band expansion for the Pebble has the potential to beat the stuffing out of Apple as far as expandability and features; attach what you need, and skip what you don't. Ten days of battery life is a good start; bring the price down and add another 50%-100% to that battery life, and we can talk.
A mere 18 hours of battery is a dealbreaker for Apple.

It's much quicker to check my watch for the time than my phone. The same needs to be true of any other function added to it.

Nothing justifies the prices for any of these, except for those who have more money than sense. You'll get much better everyday use out of a $40 Timex or Casio and a quality $100-$200 multi-tool like a Leatherman than you will out of a "smart"watch.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
So, now we have to charge our watches daily... What happened with the 10 year long life battery? :) (i know, these watches are different, but hey, it is still a watch...)

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Technology for a smart watch is way too primitive at the moment for it to make any sense, especially when you have a smart phone. Until they couple a smart watch with smart glasses where you can surf the internet, watch video, skype, gps, camera, and email then it's redundant.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"It's much quicker to check my watch for the time than my phone. The same needs to be true of any other function added to it."

that's what my $20 timex is for

Pedasc

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
So the Time Steel will be offered in three colors; silver, gunmetal black, or silver? I think I see a gold in the above picture, I assume that is the other silver and that is just an error.

My question would be how is the readability in sunlight? What about low light? I assume the Pebble has a backlight. If I would even consider this I would have to be able to just glance down at my wrist at any time and see the information I want.

The battery life of the Apple Watch is a disappointment. You never quite get the max rating, usually that is under "normal use". I see this going dead in the evening a lot.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Pebble is the poor man's Apple Watch with 1/2 the ability. So depending on your needs and your wallet. Since TH is full of Apple haters the responses are on par....heh.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
The band expansion for the Pebble has the potential to beat the stuffing out of Apple as far as expandability and features; attach what you need, and skip what you don't. Ten days of battery life is a good start; bring the price down and add another 50%-100% to that battery life, and we can talk.
A mere 18 hours of battery is a dealbreaker for Apple.

It's much quicker to check my watch for the time than my phone. The same needs to be true of any other function added to it.

Nothing justifies the prices for any of these, except for those who have more money than sense. You'll get much better everyday use out of a $40 Timex or Casio and a quality $100-$200 multi-tool like a Leatherman than you will out of a "smart"watch.

voice memos... i dont know how many people have a horrible short term memory but i do, i also dont have a smart phone because of how much the damn things cost on or off contract.

but at the same time, i have a voice recorder i got for 70$, and that thing beats the hell out of this for quality.

Technology for a smart watch is way too primitive at the moment for it to make any sense, especially when you have a smart phone. Until they couple a smart watch with smart glasses where you can surf the internet, watch video, skype, gps, camera, and email then it's redundant.
"It's much quicker to check my watch for the time than my phone. The same needs to be true of any other function added to it."

that's what my $20 timex is for
Pebble is the poor man's Apple Watch with 1/2 the ability. So depending on your needs and your wallet. Since TH is full of Apple haters the responses are on par....heh.

the e ink display that lasts for 10 days apposed to not even 1 full day on apple... yea, than after lets say a year, hows that battery going to be doing? 2 years? even when apples batter cant even last an 8 hour day anymore that pebble will still be going for 2+days long...

when it comes to watches, battery is king there, at least in a modern watch, i would put it above its ability to be accurate on time.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
@Onus - I agree, battery life is key. Personally, I'm hoping for a Pebble Time Steel band that has GPS.
What kind of bands would you guys like to see?

Medallish

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
All these phone makers seem to fall into the same trap regarding smart watches. If I wanted a device that rivaled my phone for features, then I'd just strap a phone to my wrist, pipboy style, what Pebble understood is, you make the watch an extension that uses your phones features in order to become "smarter" The device itself needs to be as simple as possible.

I have had a Pebble for 6-8 months iirc.
1.st thing that struck me was how dependent you get on a watch all of the sudden, I've never worn a watch, I got a nice watch as a gift, but I just couldn't be bothered, without the Pebble I feel like I'm missing something, it's my little shortcut to see what messages I'm getting, calls, or notifications, it's also nice as a remote to not only start playing music, but also seeing what's playing, sounds like such a small thing, but when you do the small things a lot more practical, it becomes hard to go back.

The Apple isn't even a contender imo, it does nothing that makes it more attractive than the Pebble Time.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Look what so much technology has done to this... they stuck everything on a flimsy device, and can do everything, but nothing that is convenient... totally useless... ;)

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
These watches are where tablets were a decade ago, not so comparatively primitive as the Newton, but a long way from "ready for prime time."

Status
Not open for further replies.