Apple: We've Made Fixes to Maps App, More Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"We've made a number of improvements to Maps"

And meanwhile Google continues to expand/update its existing map service. My dad uses Google's map on our handheld GPS because the GPS company's default map was around 2 years behind.

G

Wait, did I miss something...? "...users are utilizing Maps 'significantly' more than they were before iOS 6."? Didn't Maps premiere with iOS 6...? I would hope that people are now utilizing Maps 'significantly' more than zero...

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
So people are using it more than they were before iOS 6.
Wasn't it only pre-installed from iOS 6???

Kind of a "no $h!t" comment from Apple. Weather it's rubbish or not, pre-install it and people will use it. Just look at MS Internet Explorer. Given the choice NOBODY would willingly install it.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
The iOS maps app isn't as bad as people make out. In fact once they iron out the mapping accuracy issues they have a better, more realistic 3d mapping system than Google, just missing a few of the frills like street view.

G

I believe the Maps app was always made by Apple. I mean, just look at the original iphone Maps icon and compare it to the iPhone 5 icon... its called "Maps" and has the same icon.
The difference is that until iOS 6 it used Google mapping services. Google didn't provide Apple a series of resources needed for implementing voice guided navigation, vector tiles and a bunch of other stuff and the app practically stagnated since the original iPhone came (2007).
On iOS 6, Apple rebuilt the Maps app to work with its own mapping services and databases so it could implement missing functionality.
So, Tim Cook's comment ultimately makes sense. He's comparing the same app pre and post iOS 6.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I agree the Maps issue is largely a Apple hater issue more than the complete failure everyone tries to make it out to be. Google Maps as a product just plain sucked when it was released and took years to be anywhere near dependable enough to actually use for navigation. I've used Apples application since it was released all over a 5 state area around the Great Lakes region and have never once found it to be anything less than perfect with its directions and graphics. Not bad for a first effort into a new area for them. Google on the other hand has given me bum directions many times with incorrect destinations, dead end streets, wrong way on one way streets etc. The same "Apple Maps" took me into the wilderness stories played out several years ago with all the other dedicated navigation devices and application including Googles but everyone wants to pretend that never happened and acts like it is totally an Apple only issue.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I agree the Maps issue is largely a Apple hater issue more than the complete failure everyone tries to make it out to be.[/citation]
moronic comment of the day. congratulations

weakerthans4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
You left out the part where iOS users are all mentally handicapped and need to wear helmets when they leave the house. It would be nice if you reported on all Apple news since you find it necessary to post their garbage everyday. Now where did I put my hatorade?...

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
It is apple, why does it need fixes...... Jobs would never have let crap go out to the public in the first place..... Sticking with android....

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Well, now that Google release an updated version of Google Maps on iOS, isn't trying to fix maps a little bit futile? I mean I'm all for more options, but Apple Maps has a long, long, long way to go before even touching Google Maps, and there aren't any obvious flaws with Google Maps either, so it just seems unnecessarily redundant and a waste of resources.

NitzerEbb

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Apple doesnt make new products, they just make inferior ones that that they tout as being better with their marketing team

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Google def has great software developers and took Apple's Maps failure as a good time to one up them...lol. Though nothing is perfect and I had issues with Google Maps as well. It was obvious the Apple's team working on Maps did not understand the impact a Map App has for its consumers and compounded the issue by making it the only option when iOS 6 was released. I have no doubt Apple will fix it but this was a dent in a company that prides itself with high standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.