Apple: What You’re Missing Without an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
lol, ipod in phone, i got a phone from 2006 that has a music player built in why would i want an ipod, app store? why pay for an app when there are free alternatives

why pay £400 for a device that is weaker than a phone you can get for £200 or less

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Not missing anything, But in saying that if your the kind of person who likes simplicity over functionality then the i-stuff is for you.

If you want functionality at all, you're pretty much bound to jailbreak which still doesn't do much, in fact some (most) people use it to pirate apps..

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]And who's at fault for Iphone's walled it OS? You moron, when you pirate software, music you are pushing developers towards walled it environments. You know, those people that work their asses off to make applications, to create music, art, books. All those people have families to feed and take care off. So screw you and your 'freedom'.[/citation]

Wow... You, uh, realize that Apple's fascist attitude toward its hardware and software has little to do with piracy, and everything to do with control? They literally have a stranglehold on a demographic who will throw money at them whenever they release a new product, regardless of functionality/quality. If Apple allows their sheep to be exposed to the outside world, then they risk losing that stranglehold, and they're going to f**k that chicken for as long as they possibly can.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]And who's at fault for Iphone's walled it OS? You moron, when you pirate software, music you are pushing developers towards walled it environments. You know, those people that work their asses off to make applications, to create music, art, books. All those people have families to feed and take care off. So screw you and your 'freedom'.[/citation]
Being able to install apps that aren't from one app store does not mean you pirate them, stop being so stupid. What most people like about Android is the ability to customize and not having Jobs deny an app just cause it does something better then Apple's built in app. I tried an iPhone long ago and decided I did not want it when I couldn't change the background, something my then 3 year old phone could already do, that is the freedom people want, don't assume people who want open phones want to pirate.

The_One_and_Only

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Pirating has nothing to do with not liking the iphone smochina, which is obviously done on a regular basis on said phone. People like choices, and have every right in my country to have their own opinion. And I'm pretty sure we all enjoy our freedom in the US...

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

No, it's not the fault of pirates that Apple has walled iOS. They, unlike google, want to have complete and total control over the user experience with their product. And by walling in their product, things like Flash and 3rd party apps are nonexistant. I jailbroke my piece of iShit in order to watch flash video with iMobileCinema, as well as use SBSettings to quickly enable/disable things like Wi-Fi, my VPN, change my brightness, and manage running processes. Not to mention being able to play NES and SNES games from ROM's that I legally own. Oh, and changing the theme with Winterboard is pretty great as well. Pirated software has absolutely nothing to do with walled OS's. Keep your Apple fanboy-dom to yourself in the future, trolllll.

weefatbob

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

LMAO do you hear yourself there with your complete BS, what has that got to do with what he said? I see no remarks to pirating software, music or any other media...so bored with you now I don't even want to continue poking holes at you...

Go grow up and grow a pair you sad little twat!! Buh Bye now

jojesa

Distinguished
Compared to the iPhone, virtually, any Android phone has an equal or better app for music, video, books, photos, etc.
Not only that but you have choices of apps so you don't have to be hooked to an app or company like a dreadful cult.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006

I think that was an endorsement of piracy but a rejection of on company monopolizing your data distribution. My Android phone has plenty of walls, yet I can choice the hardware and the OS software is open source.

G

What will I be missing....hmm....a sizable ongoing bill ? A neverending cycle of intentional product obsolecence and nickel and dime fees ?

Nope - won't be missing those.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Flynn_Serlant[/nom]Wow... You, uh, realize that Apple's fascist attitude toward its hardware and software has little to do with piracy, and everything to do with control? They literally have a stranglehold on a demographic who will throw money at them whenever they release a new product, regardless of functionality/quality. If Apple allows their sheep to be exposed to the outside world, then they risk losing that stranglehold, and they're going to f**k that chicken for as long as they possibly can.[/citation]

You seem to be the confused one here. If you look at Apple and Microsoft, then you can see what the "open" business model got MS...they are slowly going extinct, while Apple continues to grow and innovate. There is something to be said for keeping a certain business model in place and restricting access to the core components. Once just anyone is allowed to go in and program/do what they want, then they end-up creating products that do not fall in line with the business model.

Apple has hundreds of pages of text on just what a Mac interface should look like. Some may criticize this, but when you are selling to the general public you need to produce a product that provides the same look, works in a predictable manner, while at the same time is robust/stable.

Calling Apple's attitude "fascist" indicates that you understand little about how a business works, and that you really do not know what the term means. To classify Apple users as "sheep" also just shows the world how ignorant you are of people, and how intolerant you are of those who happen to think differently and practice different consumer activities than you. You imply that Apple makes inferior products, yet today the street set their stock target price at $500. Furthermore, you probably have not seen 10 year old Apple labs still being used, while their Windows counterparts are breaking down after about 3-5 years of use.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
1. I had an ipod a long time ago, so the phone doesn't need to provide that function. I have no music on my phone and don't ever intend to.
2. iTunes is the biggest P.O.S. software I've ever used. If I had known how bad it was before I bought my ipod I would have bought a Zune instead. Seriously, Apple needs to fix that software NOW.
3. I don't want books on my phone!
4. App store- now that is a positive benefit to the iphone. I like the app store even though I've only downloaded a few apps.

Apple is missing the biggest advantage to the phone, and that is that it is one phone from one supplier, evolved from previous models. With Android you have different carriers, different versions of Android, different manufacturers, everybody wants to enhance or limit the OS to their own benefit, so it is difficult to get everything to work right first of all, and if you change phones then they work completely differently. I had this experience before with a different phone OS and a different manufacturer. I decided this was not the way to create phones and I picked the iPhone when my contract was up.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
they're trying to use peer pressure, because they think their product is at the same level as, the bikini in the 50's. THEN you could say in a pitying voice "if you don't have a bikini....you don't have a bikini"

or in school, where it's cool to smoke and do drugs: "if you're not puffing grass....well then you're not puffing grass" ....me i'm the uncool one and puff android instead ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.