Apple's Siri is the Birth of Star Trek's Computer

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Yeah, thats nice that Apple just came out with voice recognition. I remember when I first started using it on my Motorola Droid about a year and a half ago. Apple is just on top with there technology. I mean come on; 3.5 inch screen, No 4G internet, and still does not support Adobe Flash.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]that sounds really cool but Ive got 10 bucks that says it wont work anything like that in reality.[/citation]

i agree. '

on anotehr note why give this credit to apple , theyw ern't teh first person's to do this (dragon speak was the first VR program on market way back in the mid 90's ) not that it wa very good , but it and programs liek it have gotten way better at Voice reconition , still think this is a bit premature , i can imagine the phone will issues with somea ccents and words, probably return more unreconized request error's than any thing. certianly wouldnt call this a leap into star trek technology. not like apple is invented the "isolinear" chips that ST has in thier show , or the warp drive. hell apple didn't even invent voice reconition they are just taking it to cell phone/ipod use.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Magical, Apple just invented voice recognition....Many years after dictation software has been on PCs and phone, but ignore all thoseAPPLE INVENTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/not[/citation]
Actually Macs are the first computers that I know of that used voice recognition and text-to-speech built into the operating system. Certainly before anything on the PC. So you're not far off. I'd say they pioneered it. I used to be able to do most of the things Siri does with a 15 year old Mac.

rrmyguy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]that sounds really cool but Ive got 10 bucks that says it wont work anything like that in reality.[/citation]
Only ten bucks? You sound pretty sure of that.

rrmyguy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Magical, Apple just invented voice recognition....Many years after dictation software has been on PCs and phone, but ignore all thoseAPPLE INVENTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/not[/citation]
Um, they didn't invent it, they bought the company that developed and integrated it into their device, that has been stated in every article that has mentioned it. And it looks like it more functional than anything like it to date.

G

"Star Trek producers should sue Apple for Copyright violation."
@Filiprino

I think the late Gene Roddenberry, would be praising these accomplishments, not trying to gain wealth and material things over its fruition to real life tech.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Ugh, it's like Apple sat around trying to figure out how to make iPhone owners even more irritating. Now, instead of just taking their smart phones out and incessantly playing with them at restaurants, bars, movies, bar mitzvahs, funerals, etc they're going to be taking them out AND talking to them.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The one thing that crApple does well is marketing. If the voice recognition works as well as the "commercial," then crApple might have something; however, I highly doubt that the voice recognition works as well as it does in the "commercial."

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

Naw, cupcake, they never said they invented it - They purchased a company that may have done it right...

VR has been around for years, but no one has managed to do it right. Let's see if it really works!

#okgobacktohatin'

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
voice recognition generally requires vocal training, and if it it does not, then it may just use a set of pre programmed commands which you must say exactly the same way in the same order every time.

It may be just as bad as those voice controlled GPS devices where it mostly fails to understand what you are saying or do the wrong thing or have a number of other issues, or even fail to hear you when in a noisy environment.

PS voice control programs do not work well with noise reduction as they cant handle a loss of dynamic range in the voice.
The way they figure out what you are saying is they look for patterns in the highs and lows of the words you are saying them match it to a database of words that correspond with the pattern

When someone is talking normally, there is no break int he vocal cord activity which is why you have a overall tone in when they are talking. the brain processes it as separate words but with the computer analyzes the selection of speech, it sees a continuous waveform with very few breaks.

If dynamic range is reduced (which noise reduction does by suppressing frequencies that are contributing to the noise floor, it will reduce the dynamic range of the audio which is why when you use noise reduction your voice looses it's bass and some highs.

This greatly reduces voice recognition which is why programs such as dragon naturally speaking attempt to bypass all software noise reduction.

that siri thing wont work nearly as well as it did when simulated in the tv ad

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Apple's brainstorm session: watch tng episodes for "new" tech ideas. ;p
jk
Pretty cool how reality mirrors old scifi tv shows.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rrmyguy[/nom]Um, they didn't invent it, they bought the company that developed and integrated it into their device, that has been stated in every article that has mentioned it. And it looks like it more functional than anything like it to date.[/citation]

that sounds like apple (and most companies). they are like the BORG they kill everything (in this case with buyouts and lawsuits) and use the ideas as there own.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Actually Macs are the first computers that I know of that used voice recognition and text-to-speech built into the operating system. Certainly before anything on the PC. So you're not far off. I'd say they pioneered it. I used to be able to do most of the things Siri does with a 15 year old Mac.[/citation]

i doubt it i remember they had speech to text back with MACOS 9 with the error messages but there were tons of programs out there for PC and MAC that used it too.

G

if this works as advertised then thats a realy promising feature that ios can finally be proud of.

but i wont believe its that smooth/fluent untill i see it for myself... remember the windows ads... was so convincing

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]No, as usual Apple made it useable tech for the average person. Yet again. And now the real sheeple will follow also 'yet again' and scramble that theirs is better and, as you did, claim Apple didn't invent it. So transparent and stupid. GO APPLE !!!!![/citation]
They didn't made usable to everyone. They bought the company that had the technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.