Apple's Siri Won't Help You Find an Abortion Clinic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]God allows free will, organised religeons don't...It's a very fine distinction[/citation]

apparently neither does Apple :)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]If you use your smartphone to find an abortion clinic, you should probably spend a little more time thinking about what you are doing.[/citation]
How exactly is this any different then going on your PC and looking the information up? You need to find the information for the clinic somehow and using your smartphone is as viable a way as any.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Corporations trying to dictate our moral code, who'd have thought?[/citation]

Actually, Tom's omitted a lot of the original information. It is just a matter of time before this option will be available. Here is the important stuff that responsible journalism would have included: "Responding to the criticism, Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris told The New York Times on Wednesday that the problem was simply a glitch in the product that is still being worked out."

“Our customers want to use Siri to find out all types of information, and while it can find a lot, it doesn’t always find what you want,” she said."These are not intentional omissions meant to offend anyone, it simply means that as we bring Siri from beta to a final product, we find places where we can do better and we will in the coming weeks.”

G

"It's in beta," yet it was advertised as one of the prime features of a newly-released product. Interesting.

Cumulonimbus incus

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[citation][nom]dillonpeterliam[/nom]What about the Android Siri Alternatives? does anybody know if they can provide this info?[/citation]There are no Android or Windows alternatives; Siri is years ahead.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]siremortis[/nom]a gun is a terrible weapon, but it's noble if used to save lives.[/citation]
A gun is a tool. It's indiscriminate of what we want it to do. The same should be with Siri. It should not have a "personality", as people forget, it's merely a tool.

[citation][nom]dfusco[/nom]It's in beta, BETA...B-E-T-A What part of BETA don't you understand, stupid?[/citation]
The E. It's pronounced like a long A, so why do they use an E? I just can't understand that.

(well, you did ask)

G

Steveymoo

"Good and noble" would be preventing a child from being born into a closed minded, brainwashed, religious family.

Steve: your statement attacks all religious families. That's very closed minded.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]oneture[/nom]Steveymoo"Good and noble" would be preventing a child from being born into a closed minded, brainwashed, religious family.Steve: your statement attacks all religious families. That's very closed minded.[/citation]

He specifically stated what kind of family he was referring to "a closed minded, brainwashed, religious family." Not all religious families. Read before you post.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Siri sucks. Speaktoit on Android works way better, plus you have Google 3D voice turn by turn navigation integrated.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Shodar[/nom]You realize you are asking crApple users to think for themselves? Is this even possible?[/citation]

This form of irrational stereotyping is old. Time to move on. Be creative.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]Reason number 45,069,584,474 to not own crapple products.[/citation]

Biased troll is biased, a troll.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok...if you are ready to have sex, then you should be ready for the outcome....there are condoms, and pills....i know that they aren't always effective, but if you are smart and use your brain there should be no need for an abortion. "Planned Parenthood"...is using your brain, people ;)....i am not a pro life fanatic, but really, is there really a need for abortion?

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ok...if you are ready to have sex, then you should be ready for the outcome....there are condoms, and pills....i know that they aren't always effective, but if you are smart and use your brain there should be no need for an abortion. "Planned Parenthood"...is using your brain, people ....i am not a pro life fanatic, but really, is there really a need for abortion?[/citation]

Yes, accidents do happen. No form of contraception is 100% effective. There is also the rare instance of rape, forced sex by a partner/date (just another form of rape), incest, cases where giving birth may jeopardize the life of the mother, etc.. Plus, there are some people who still think that a woman cannot get pregnant while nursing, and other ignorant wives tales. To answer your question, there is a need for abortion. But, to use it as the first choice of birth control is naive.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom] There is also the rare instance of rape, forced sex by a partner/date (just another form of rape),.[/citation]

I hate to be the one to break it to you; but rape is one of the most under reported crimes. It (unfortunately) happens very often. That said I totally agree that females (regardless of age) should have abortion as an option.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i'd like to see a prosecution attorney put Siri on the witness stand in a trial before a jury in being an accomplice and accessory to murder or some other lawsuit or criminal trial brought about by the culpability of it's answers. " siri did you or did you not help mr john smith to cover up a murder...."
oh i can see this opening so many doors and leaving digital footprints attorneys are going to love having, a real life version of clue' siri did it with a candle stick app on the freeway over pass'.

Status
Not open for further replies.