Apple's Store Hits 800,000 Apps Mark

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Despite 800k of apps, there is still no video player app, free or paid, which can play everything smoothly on the ipad mini. Meanwhile, KLite in windows do it all, and it is free.

Productivity? Notepad++ beat them all as far as text editing is concerned. If iPad is the future of productivity computing, it will be a good thing since the companies will need MORE programmers and people to do the same amount of work now, hence there will be less unemployment!!!

Violet Gillespie

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
til I looked at the bank draft which had said $5387, I did not believe ...that...my best friend was like they say actually receiving money in their spare time on their laptop.. there neighbor started doing this for under ten months and by now cleard the depts on there villa and got a great Citroën DS. this is where I went,,,,,,,,,,, http://qr.net/kgO2

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]AndroidWon[/nom]You know who is childish? YOU! Every apple or android article you come into the threads and insult everyone you can. You throw little fits like a child. You are probably the biggest fanboi on this site. Android won the war and Apple is going down like th niche player it always was. 90s here we come![/citation]
Aahhhh, poor little baby. Creating multiple accounts because you're afraid to post with your main account. It's so obvious since all your quotes start with the exact same phrase, something like:

username 03/30/2013 7:27 AM
Hide
-1+

Even more childish is your creating alternate usernames based on an existing user. See you later, coward.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]Please don't take this personally - I realize you're just stating what's happening, but this is about the stupidest trend to hit in the last decade. Over the course of a year, I probably interact with 100-200 businesses on a regular basis. I do not want to have to install 100-200 apps just so I can get the full online experience with them.It's on par with Disney Dollars - fake money you had to buy to buy stuff within Disneyland. Why create fake money usable only within that single business, when you can just use real money? Likewise why create an app when you can just create a website which (if designed properly) will work across multiple platforms without me having to install something new for every single business I interact with?Apps have their place - if you're trying to do something which can't easily be provided via a website. In particular, things that need a large amount of processing locally (e.g. games), or that might incur additional security risks if accessed via a shared browser (e.g. a finance management app, though Mint online seems to be the most popular go figure). But if it can easily be done on a website, do it on a website. We do not want a world where apps displace websites. That's a tragedy of the commons in the making (best choice for each individual business results in the worst possible outcome for everyone overall).[/citation]
Who says you need to install 100-200 Apps? I only install Apps for the organizations I interact with regularly (which on my iPhone is about 15). The rest I don't bother with.

An App is far superior to a website. Web pages don't have access to local device hardware so you're limited in what you can do. And an App will be more secure and efficient, not to mention many times faster than a website.

An App only needs to load a very small amount of data which means you use less data when you're mobile. I have my browser set to private, which means cookies, cache and history are deleted after every session. Which means that website has to get re-loaded in its entirety every time I go back to it, eating up data and reducing speed.

Not every single business needs an App, but many find a way to make good use of an App. This is something you get on iOS but not on Android. None of the popular Apps I use are even in Google Play yet, though several have said they are going to offer an Android App after having a successful trial on iOS. Which is another reality of the App world - most companies try iOS first before moving on to Android. Just like most developers till favor iOS.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]Lol that's where your wrong, as long as there's money to be made from something people will fight for it. Its probably what Yahoo! said when it was loading to Google in the early 2000's.[/citation]

So you're saying the loser trolls on Tom's are making money? That's why they're fighting and posting garbage?

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ummm, just a reminder that there are lots of technologically deficient people who still use Apple jailyouin products and need to move on to better things....

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]..along with all the bloatware you can't uninstall.[/citation]

That depends on the phone. It's not really an issue on a Nexus.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Ummm, just a reminder that there are lots of technologically deficient people who still use Apple jailyouin products and need to move on to better things....[/citation]

No, but you're a reminder that Apple isn't the only one with trolls.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]A large number.People seem to think there are only a handful of useful Apps and the rest are duplicates. This is not true. Most iOS developers I know don't write games, productivity, photo/video or social Apps. They write Apps for small businesses, organizations, schools, financial institutions or sports teams. These Apps are free and don't make any money - they are provided as a service.When the Internet took off everyone said you need a website for your business. Today it's Apps. My rec hockey league has an App for scheduling, standings and player stats. My favorite sports teams all have Apps. My kids Karate association has an App. None of these will ever appear on any Apple "lists" - you will only find them by searching their exact name or following a web link.People expect major businesses to have an App (your bank or credit card company, for example). But Apps are not just for large companies - small businesses and organizations are also releasing Apps to provide better serviceThis is why there are so many Apps.[/citation]

The vast majority of apps for both Android and iOS, at least in the app stores, never get downloaded whether they're free or not. Duplicates are also easily a huge fraction of the total apps in the app stores, if not the majority. For apps outside of the market, both of these are probably less true IMO, but this article is about the markets, isn't it?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]The vast majority of apps for both Android and iOS, at least in the app stores, never get downloaded whether they're free or not. Duplicates are also easily a huge fraction of the total apps in the app stores, if not the majority. For apps outside of the market, both of these are probably less true IMO, but this article is about the markets, isn't it?[/citation]

EDIT: That's not to imply that there isn't a large number of useful apps in either app store/market. You were totally correct to say that there are lots of useful apps in Apple's App store. It's similarly true that there are lots of useful apps in Gogle's Android Play Store and I'll concede that it's likely that there's more fluff in the Play Store, but there's still also a lot of fluff in the Apple App store.

Status
Not open for further replies.