Apple's Success Pushing Carriers to Windows Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfarlow

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
While I'm not a big fan of allowing the carriers to have their way, I also have to agree that Apple is cornering the mobile phone market, which doesn't bode well for consumers.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Its about time carriers stopped subsidizing those cluncky little iJails. All their subsidies only made Apple richer.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Competition is good... it will make both Androide and iOS better products. Just like I've always supported Apple on the PC side (even though I'm a PC guy), I'd love to see Nokia have a huge hit with their WP offerings.

I also think the feature set on phones and tablets is stagnating and there's an opportunity for someone to shake up the status quo... it would really be funny to see Microsoft playing the same spoiler role in those markets that Apple plays in the PC market.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
I do not think that any success of WP7.5/8 will affect the iPhone market. Most iPhone users (though not all) are either Apple enthusiasts, or people who are tech novices who learn a platform and then stick with it. Nither of those camps are going to be big on moving over to anything else. Android however is full of a 'value' market that looks for $/capability or $/features who are not going to be interested in iProducts due to upfront cost, but have been with Android only because it is what they could afford while meeting their needs.

Still, I guess we should never underestimate the power of the gate keepers of a technology, which in this case is the cell service provider.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
As much as I dislike Apples control via their walled garden, I dislike carriers and their excessive dataplans nad pre-loading phones with bloat even more. I hope this doesn't mean that WP will come with carrier bloat.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"with behavior that is frequently described as bullying."

Not that I wish to defend Apple here, but the carriers need to have a look into a mirror. Bullying customers is definitely not just an Apple specialty !

BTW, I own a dumb old flip phone and am happy with it.

And no, it can not play crysis or shoot birds at stuff :)

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
AT&T missed the Android boat a bit by focusing on Apple iPhone. Verizon got to make it's carrier label "Droid" synonymous with the Android brand. AT&T is trying hard not to miss that boat this time with WP7 by coming in a bit late, with a lot of money and still no marketing of their label with the phone. I bet we see something from Verizon along the lines of the original Droid push. Verizon will edge AT&T out yet again even though AT&T has the flagship WP7 on the market and should have the advantage.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I can't believe people are so wrapped up in their Apple hate to actually want the carriers to be ones making all the rules. I'd much rather that hardware manufacturers had the power by making great products and letting us choose the providers we want. I feel like Google dropped the ball with the Nexus One. They were supposed to be the saviors and give us contract free phones. Yet we are still stuck with contract lock-in and crap that telecoms shove into their phones.

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Dam.. I was wishing I would be and always will one of the lucky few in my school to have windows phone...

Looks like everyone might have one now..

Oh well, it was good while it lasted...

No really guys, I'm actually hoping windows phone will take off and at the same time hoping it'll kinda stay as it is..

I'm not sure why but I guess I'm just selfish. The reason why I jumped onto the windows phone bandwagon was because virtually no one else had it and I want to become "just another iphone/andriod"..

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Why cant you edit your post?

-edit

Dam.. I was wishing I would be and always will one of the lucky few in my school to have windows phone...

Looks like everyone might have one now..

Oh well, it was good while it lasted...

No really guys, I'm actually hoping windows phone will take off and at the same time hoping it'll kinda stay as it is..

I'm not sure why but I guess I'm just selfish. The reason why I jumped onto the windows phone bandwagon was because virtually no one else had it and I didn't want to become "just another iphone/andriod"..

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]fellskrazykayaker[/nom]I can't believe people are so wrapped up in their Apple hate to actually want the carriers to be ones making all the rules.[/citation]

My earlier post is what I expect to see happen, not exactly what I hope or want to see happen. I'm with you on unlocking the phones and the plans. We need far more unlimited plans and true unlimited (no caps) on all the carriers. T-Mobile and Sprint keep looking more and more attractive once my current contract is up...

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I definitely love the competition this could create. Microsoft is in a tough spot because they have to get the app makers and especially need that killer app or functionality.

usualsuspect82

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
No thanks! I don't want carriers to have any kind of control over the phone I opt to purchase. I got burnt last time I bought an Android phone with all kinds of bloatware that I had to root just to get off the phone. Hence why I got an iPhone (I was so tempted to get the Lumia 900 but that's besides the point), I hate bloatware. I should have an option to remove it through normal means that doesn't require me to void my warranty on the phone and deal with custom (and sometimes extremely buggy) ROM's.

Another reason I wouldn't want the carrier having any control over my phone is because I don't like the fact that with the Android platform not all phones get the latest updates, leaving people who're stuck on a 2+ year contract with an older phone out. Hence why closed (Walled gardens) platforms to me are superior to Android when it comes to getting the latest updates from the OS/Hardware manufacturer.

Not saying that Android is a bad platform in any way, because I did enjoy my Evo 3D (and the many ROM's I got to play around with), it's just that when it came to getting the latest software I had two options which were wait for HTC to roll out the update then wait for Sprint to send out the update, or void my warranty and root the phone just so I could install a custom ROM, which I shouldn't have to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.