Archos Now Shipping Two Android Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
So the iPod Touch competitor (Archos 43) really isn't any cheaper than the iTouch at all? Since the 8GB iTouch is $230 and the 32GB is $300, it falls right in between. And the Archos 43 is lacking the huge app store. Doesn't sound like much of an alternative at all, really.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]So the iPod Touch competitor (Archos 43) really isn't any cheaper than the iTouch at all? Since the 8GB iTouch is $230 and the 32GB is $300, it falls right in between. And the Archos 43 is lacking the huge app store. Doesn't sound like much of an alternative at all, really.[/citation]

There is a simple drag and drop, one click hack that gives you the full marketplace.

It also has many advantages over the iTouch:
-Bigger screen
-MicroSD expansion
-HDMI out
-USB Host
-Will have full flash when 2.2 hits (been in BETA for weeks so should be soon)
-Decent HD cam
-No iTunes (means a lot to many people)
-16GB VS 8GB for the $230 iTouch

Sounds like a great alternative to me. Then again, any decent media player with Android would be.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
^^^^^^^^^

I would also like to add:
-MUCH larger file support.
-720p video playback (onto your TV through HDMI)
-Bluetooth tethering for 3G
-All those nice perks of Android over the iOS

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Not bad but no andriod marketplace(which is a huge con for me). I am pretty shure you will be able to access it in the future through a hack.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I tried out the Archos 32 and had to return it because the wireless reception was god awful. I hope these devices don't fall into that inexcusable flaw. It made me have to turn to an Ipod touch, which I tried my best to resist from having to get.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Wish they woulda used flash memory, woulda been way more attractive of a buy[/citation]

Are you talking about the 250GB version? Thats the only HDD based one. I would like you to show me an affordable 250GB flash drive...

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Are you talking about the 250GB version? Thats the only HDD based one. I would like you to show me an affordable 250GB flash drive...[/citation]

Where did I say I wanted it to be 250 GB ? I'd rather have 16 GB flash drive. There's so many remote desktop apps that it makes on device storage kinda redundant for anything other then things your going to use daily

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Where did I say I wanted it to be 250 GB ? I'd rather have 16 GB flash drive. There's so many remote desktop apps that it makes on device storage kinda redundant for anything other then things your going to use daily[/citation]

You don't get it, there's both an HD (250GB) and Flash (8GB) version of the 70, which also has a microSDHC slot for flash storage either way. The 101 will also have a full 16GB version.

The 43 really isn't a "tablet", it's a PMP with a lot of options. The 70 and upcoming 101 however will be a nice "cheap" option to the more expensive 3g supporting tablets like iPad and Galaxy Tab.

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pawessum16[/nom]It made me have to turn to an Ipod touch, which I tried my best to resist from having to get.[/citation]

Did you look at any Cowon gear? I have an A3 and it is AMAZING! When it eventually dies I will be buying another Cowon. They all have great sound quality, best file support i've ever seen, great battery life, the list goes on.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Not bad but no andriod marketplace(which is a huge con for me). I am pretty shure you will be able to access it in the future through a hack.

I thought so too at first. The reason they don't have access to the market place, according to Archos, is that the minimum requirements for the Droid Marketplace are geared towards phones and not tablets. Supposedly for a device to be on the Google Market the device needs GPS, compass, 2-Mpel autofocus camera and physical buttons - many things that aren't in Android Tablets. Archos also claims there is no evidence that any tablet qualifies until Google's Gingerbread comes out in 2011. According to many last gen android archos users, you can hack the android marketplace.

Also, the Archos 101 is best of them all. 10.1 inch screen, HDMI out, full USB, 10 hour battery, 1.0 GHz ARM CPU, 1024 x 600 widescreen display, MicroSD expansion, Android 2.2 and thinner and lighter than the iPad for only $350 (MSRP - I have already seen it for preorder with free shipping, no tax at $333).

coggsman

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]I want 101 NAOOOOOOO!!![/citation]

Take the trip to Europe. I think you can get it there.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pawessum16[/nom]I tried out the Archos 32 and had to return it because the wireless reception was god awful. I hope these devices don't fall into that inexcusable flaw. It made me have to turn to an Ipod touch, which I tried my best to resist from having to get.[/citation]

No idea why this is thumbed down. I'm in the process of returning my 32 for the same reason. Everything but the wireless was great. But the wireless is without a doubt, awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.