Are Altec Lansing ADA 745 4:1 powered speakers/amplifier repairable?

Treadman42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
A lightning strike in neighborhood abruptly shut down power on everything. When power resumed hours later, my 2 rear speakers were no longer working. Front pair & powered woofer were OK. Unfortunately, could not test at home because each speaker's connector to the woofer is distinctive & labeled, & will only fit into it's specific port. This is a great system (I've enjoyed it since 2003) & I want to know whether it is repairable. If so, any guidance as to who might do this? I'm in Bergen County NJ, a part of the Greater NYC Metro area.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
its more likely that its your receiver/amp that is the problem,not your rear speakers.do you mean to say that each speakers connector to the amp is different? what kind of connectors are they?one other thing to try is to change the sound effect on the amp ie from surround to matrix etc.if all else fails and the rear speakers really do have different plugs than the front,i would cut the front and rear connectors and temporarily switch them just to see if it was the speaker or not.my money though,is on the receiver being wonky.with a power outage you know you will lose all settings on the receiver? means setting everything up again.