Are android devices' OSs upgradable?

Pacopag

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hi. I'm actually wondering about tablets (not phones), but my question is related to android devices.

Can I upgrade the OS on an android tablet? So if I buy a tablet with Android 3.0, will I later be able to upgrade it to 3.1, or will I need a new tablet? How easy would this be? What would it cost?

I'm totally new to tablets, so please forgive my ignorance.

Solution
manufacturers should release updates which would allow you to upgrade the version on your device. some manufacturers are either slow or do not released them though.

if they do not offer a legitimate upgrade, check to see if any of the android community has developed a custom rom based on the version you want. if they did then tbackup, root, rom away....

i'm running android 2.3 on my 2.2 device :)
manufacturers should release updates which would allow you to upgrade the version on your device. some manufacturers are either slow or do not released them though.

if they do not offer a legitimate upgrade, check to see if any of the android community has developed a custom rom based on the version you want. if they did then tbackup, root, rom away....

i'm running android 2.3 on my 2.2 device :)

Solution

rafi4375

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
android is a linux based os.no one could charge you for an android upgrade.you can download any uncostumized versions for free from android.com.most devices are upgradable to newer versions.atleast one upgrade for your android devices are promised by google.commonly high end devices from famous brands will get updates very soon.while, most low end device's CPU's may be weak to work with the new versions of android!:)

MsJazz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2014
Tablet or handset, make sure your device's hardware can comfortably run the newer operating systems before taking the plunge. Their resource requirements are much greater than their predecessors, approaching those of small laptops. Don't let external appearances distract you---display size doesn't matter. Neither does brand name. What counts is "under the hood"---if the specifications match the requirements . If they do, fine. There is no going back once done.