Are Free VPN Apps Worth the Risk? Experts Say 'No'

James_carton00

Prominent
Feb 10, 2017
Not a risk because of every company of VPN if it free or paid is first priority is to secure the privacy and protection to our customer. The Just difference between free and paid VPN is major differ is a Free VPN has maximum 5 servers allow and the Paid VPN is too many servers that are paid VPN is Highly protected then Free VPN.

ZachGold

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017
that's why we have the paid variety like ivacy, express, nord and others. nothing's really free if you understand. there are costs to operate servers and stuff and i'm guessing anyone can assume that.

Seankay

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
I would say that the experts are right and certainly "in the end, you get what you pay for."! Recently a report by CSIRO revealed that most of the VPN providers are using malware to track users' data down in this report (https://research.csiro.au/ng/wp-content/uploads/sites/106/2016/08/paper-1.pdf) and if you notice the brands, then you'll definitely find that most of these are free services!
Another string case about free VPNs came out last year where Hola was accused of using its users as exit nodes. So it is absolutely true that using a free VPN service is never a reliable or safe option. They can be a huge threat to your privacy and even your security. You can never be too sure about whether they are legit or merely honeypots (https://www.purevpn.com/blog/free-vpnsproxies-as-honeypots/) so, I think the experts are right about the fact that Free VPN apps do not worth the risk at all!

Brandyrt

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
I personally use IPVanish, please don't consider this as an advertising. It's a popular paid application, but you'll be sure that everything is safe

maikutech

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
I agree with blackbird on that one if you want to go the paid vpn route just be sure to look at their track record that matches up with company/user praises and complaints.