Are new Lenovo laptops reliable?

zsiberke

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
Hi!

I'd like to buy a new Lenovo laptop in the upcoming month and don't know if it's still good or not.

I've heard a lot of rumors about it being faulty, not reliable, or "it's just not the good ol' Lenovo it used to be"

I'd get the notebook with freeDOS, then upload a 90 day trial Windows, which afterwards I'd update with a full legit, Dreamspark Windows. Is that possible?

Solution
OK, I misunderstood. Let me offer a 'second opinion' on Lenovo:

I own a Lenovo Y50 and it has a sturdy feel to it and a nice rubberized palm rest. It is heavier than its competitors, and battery life has never been Lenovo's strongest suit. With increased GPU power comes increased heat generation, and Lenovo still has some work to do to optimize heat dissipation. The result is that the 4GB GTX 860M unit in my Y50 generates quite a lot of heat from underneath and through the keyboard (around the WASD area). It won't burn you, but you will feel it.

Customer service is another aspect to consider. Lenovo took over IBM's PC Division about 10 years ago and with it a whole support structure aimed exclusively at business clients. As a private...

As regards quality in new vs old Lenovos, here are 2 YouTubers with strong opinions on this subject:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq3jvp1xgOU&t=141s
This is Louis Rossman and he does computer repairs - all brands and no particular preferences. This is just one of his many videos on ThinkPads and Lenovo.

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFJqzCt4hHI
This is Modern Classics - dedicated to IBMs and Lenovos. Less energetic but just as passionate.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

LT_Paul

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
I have lenovo for about 3-4 months. Its piece of shit. Wifi keeps disconnecting, fans are really bad, i even cleaned my pc with pc dust cleaner, but its still horribly hot. Screen viewing angles are great, display is good as well. after installing +8GB of RAM, and 500GB SSD pc got faster. Its not great for gaming but can handle some new titles at 720p lowest. Battery life....well... i dont know, i always keep my laptop on my table pluged in. Lenovo has lots of useless apps, which may slow down your boot up times, but i uninstalled them. If i would be you, i would buy HP laptop.

zsiberke

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thank you for the answer! I'm not so happy to hear that, because I found a Lenovo laptop for a really good price and with perfect components. I guess I have to look for other ones, but I don't like either the way they look and their specs.

What particular model do you own? And what do you use it for? This one would come without and OS, so I guess I don't have to worry about useless apps.

zsiberke

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Hi!

Thanks for answering! I watched both videos, but those weren't what I was looking for - even though they were interesting and fun to watch.

Are these Lenovos of such a bad quality?

OK, I misunderstood. Let me offer a 'second opinion' on Lenovo:

I own a Lenovo Y50 and it has a sturdy feel to it and a nice rubberized palm rest. It is heavier than its competitors, and battery life has never been Lenovo's strongest suit. With increased GPU power comes increased heat generation, and Lenovo still has some work to do to optimize heat dissipation. The result is that the 4GB GTX 860M unit in my Y50 generates quite a lot of heat from underneath and through the keyboard (around the WASD area). It won't burn you, but you will feel it.

Customer service is another aspect to consider. Lenovo took over IBM's PC Division about 10 years ago and with it a whole support structure aimed exclusively at business clients. As a private customer you may be in for a very frustrating experience if you try to contact Lenovo. They still have a lot to learn about servicing a user segment with vastly different budgets, time schedules and expectations. I don't think Lenovo is unique in this respect (all manufacturers get bad reviews and feedback), but there is still a marked business bias.

I'm a heavy Lenovo user (almost the whole range of consumer products) and I like my Y50. It's been a reliable and surprisingly rugged companion for 2 years now, and shows no sign of fatigue, and I would expect the newer Ideapad generations to be improved versions of the Y50. You can find a lot of Ideapads online with generous specs at reasonable prices, but in many important respects, such as weight and battery life, Ideapads are still behind the competition.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution