Are Phone Manufacturers ''Abandoning'' Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
That's actually a good thing. If companies actively prevent each other from becoming too powerful, quasi monopoly situations like MS had for a long time will become a lot less problematic.

superfoot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
This seems thin to me. Verizon dumped the N1 cause it was getting a more powerful phone in the Incredible. Android will have a major share in the mobile phone market for a long time.

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
All I can say is this:
Good luck stopping Google!

its really hard to take a side though, Mobile carriers Vs. Google.. hmmm..

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I got to use an HTC Incredible and I really like it.. The OS looks and feels even better then my moto droid.. I think the main problem is google has some catch ups to do on somethings.. If they could just update the OS quicker.. There are still minor things that lead to bigger problems.. I was surprised when I got my moto droid and multi touch browsing wasn't stockjavascript:%20void(0);.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
As long as the convicted monopolist MS does not gain ultimate control I am OK. Competition and a free market is always best.

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
There are some ignorant assumptions and conclusions in this article. I second the idea that the N1 is not being carried because the Incredible is better, so why duplicate options.

Also, Motorola switching location based services has nothing to do with Android.

As far as the MS/HTC mess, Windows Mob- err.. Windows 7....ummm, whatever its called this week, is not making any great strides in the market, and even though HTC has a great suface UI, they still rely on other OSs, such as Android, which they still do.

Where is the shift, "away" from Android? Is there a phone company that had ALL android phones that is not carrying that many anymore? Last time I checked, Android phones were hitting the market more and more. Not less.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I hope Android picks up a lot more steam. I like a lot of things about the iphone, but I don't like closed platforms. Competition is great, but its not good for anything if its iphone and a whole bunch of smaller guys that can't get their act together.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I agree with dameon51. it's always been "I could get this, that, that, that or an iPhone". why are companies intentially holding android back. Yes it needs it's updates to come out already, but it would be great to have 3 different "iPhone" like solutions. Google android with the google store, Apple iPhone with iTunes, and Windows Mobile 7 with whatever they want as some sort of online store. And all these phones should be carrier independant. the iPhone would have dominated the world even more if you could have gotten it on Verizon way back when, because back then there was nothing to compete against. Now that there is hardware competition, let the hardware go to all carriers and make the carriers compete apples to apples (which might force verizon to bring data+voice at the same time, and force AT&T to make their service not suck entirely).

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]daworstplaya[/nom]Those who move away from Android will lose business, it's a simple as that. People want Android.[/citation]

you are so wrong buddy...people want iphone!!!

G

I don't understand the logic here given the subject line: "Are phone manufacturers abandoning Android".

Your lead argument in support of this statement is to site the Verizon move to switch from the HTC Nexus One to another HTC Incredible. But Verizon is not a phone manufacturer, HTC is. Verizon picked the most premier phone from HTC which NOW is the Incredible. Both the Nexus One and the Incredible are Android phones. Am I missing something?

The Motorola choice to use a better GPS technology in Skyhook is not a move away from Android OS. It is, in fact, the Android OS that allows Skyhook to function within Android as a first class citizen. The Android architecture allows manufacturers the freedom to differentiate their devices by providing best in class. This very thing attracts them to Android. They don't have to accept everything Google sells. Google has to compete.

Motorola has bet the company on Android and has indicated so in public comments.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I like how the very next article posted after this one is titled "HTC Expecting to Make Big Bucks Due to Android".

If manufacturers are fleeing Android, its odd that their biggest manufacturer is forcasting big profits off phones carrying the OS.

Plus, the reason Windows is #1 is because of the app support behind it. Anyone can write software for Windows and know that it will run on 90% of personal computers in the world. Now that Apps are what sell a phone, you have two real options: iPhone OS and Android. Since Apple only sells the iPhone OS on it's own hardware, manufacturers will have to go with Android.

Unless all phone manufacturers band together to create an interoperable App environment, there's no way some upstart OS will overtake the market. Palm's WebOS may be a nice OS, but it doesn't have the app support of Android or iPhone. No one wants to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone that no one develops apps for.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I wonder how long it will take for Google to build their own wireless network. Their gigabit fiber network is coming, wireless seems like a logical progression.

vkelman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
That Bloomberg article is heavily biased anti-Android one and is far from reality... rather its author invents his own reality he likes to see. No wonder there was no way to comment under that article.

It didn't make any sense for Verizon to carry Nexus One while they now have a similar but better phone from HTC. It's still Android and it's a flagship Verizon phone now.

HTC was recently reported performing much better than expected due to a big success with its excellent Android phones. And it continues to bake one great Android phone after another. For example, HTC Evo 4G Android phone is coming to Sprint this summer.
HTC - Microsoft deal was forcibly imposed on HTC by Microsoft (shame on it - instead of innovating it tries to kill competitors by non-competitive measures, same as Apple did). It has nothing to do with HTC trying to go away from Android.

Motorola's biggest success up to now is again Android phone - Droid.
As you know, Android platform is open and Google does not and can not require to use only its services on Android phones. It maybe unfortunate that Motorola decided to use Skyhood navigation instead of one from Google, but, after all, Motorola is fully independent and knows better what business decision suit it well. If Skyhood is better, why not to use it?

Samsung has it's own OS (no one knows for now if it will be any good), but it comes with a flagship Android phone as well (Galaxy Spica).

Overall, Android progresses really fast and takes big chunks from other mobile OSes usage base.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Bet it won't be long before they are their own android phone provider.

Let's be clear that Google controls a massive VoIP and wireless network and are expanding it even now. It would be easy for them to hook up some LTE towers to that and crush the carriers at their own game.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I don't understand why the Verizon-Nexus One announcement surprised anyone, HTC already released an Android phone that puts the Nexus One to shame on the Verizon network. The Nexus One was basically an experiment for Google anyways.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Actually, I am betting that the Nexus1 is not being carried bacuase GOOGLE would not let Verizon gimp that phone out like they tend to do to their phones. Two immediate examples that come to mind:

-Verizon wants to charge for tethering on the Droid.
-Verizon nerfed the memory on the Touch Pro by 25% as compared to the non-verizon models.

Google's goal with the Nexus1 is to have an unencumbered Android phone so everyone can see how great it is. Gimping the Nexus1 to the point that Verizon would carry it sort of defeats the purpose.

The decision has NOTHING to do with the Incredible or with Android in general, it is specifically about Verizon wanting to control their phones for maximum profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.