Are Samsung laptops any good?

nonnzz98

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I have an opportunity to get a Series 5 Samsung laptop, with an i5 4gb ram (will probably update to 8gb) and a 128gb ssd from my friend for extremely cheap. The only ''problem'', is that ive looked up some reviews on youtube, and people are saying that samsung laptops have bad cooling (overheating issues) and hard drive issues, but is it something to worry about, or should i go for it?

Their quality assurance and build quality is pretty good. From what I recall, Samsung is one of the few laptop ODMs/OEMs that produces their own hardware, rather than outsourcing assembly to a major electronics manufacturing company.

Maybe this will help you make some other considerations as well (although Samsung was left out, as they are still fairly new to the laptop market): http://lifehacker.com/computer-manufacturers-ranked-how-to-pick-a-laptop-tha-1467145338

tavisc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
I have a series 3, and I have terrible overheating problems. It's so bad that I have to use a cooling pad for light gaming, even for something like Minecraft or Kerbal Space Program. I've also had issues where the laptop will shut down due to overheating, though this usually only happens during the summer.

How long have you owned and how often do you use it?

tavisc

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

A bit over two years, and I use it every day. I'm in college, so I don't have a desktop, just this one. I've cleaned the fans, and it helped a bit, but not a ton. I'm actually in the market for a new laptop, so it's not a huge issue, just giving my two cents as it were.

Overheating is definitely a prevalent thing in many laptops. Sorry to hear you ran into trouble with it!

Unless you're referring to discharge cycles from 100%, you can't really "over charge" modern laptop batteries.

nonnzz98

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013