Are we a bunch of ZOMBIES?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK all you THG Seti smashers... What's going on? It's so darn quiet around this forum, I hardly ever check it anymore! Hasn't anybody been doing anything new??? Galanz, what are you up to lately? LowlyPawn, aren't you going to chase me anymore? Any new boxes out there? How about a little competition? I need something to get me back interested in this distributed computing thing.

I only run SETI regularly on one of my machines now-a-days and I've crunched about 200 UD units for that Cancer research project with my other 24/7 machine. I'm about to pass CESI, our illustrus founder! (Whoever that is...) What's everybody else doing?

I'm looking for one of those AYHJAR stepping Athlons that OC's to 1600 and runs cooler! (Heh heh... Man, I hope my wife never finds out how much I spend on this hobby!)I'm running all three of Bill Gates OS's, 98, ME, Win2k pro...

... or mabe we're all just a bunch of SETI Zombies... crunch munch crunch munch....

Scout

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You know that was one of the reasons that I left the team. There was getting dead in here, No bs'ing nothing. I went over to littlewhitedogs team and were jamming twards the top. There is also daily conversations and lots of communication. Ya just loose interest if it feels like your the only one out there. Or maybe it's just me.

I love you Sarge....

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah.. I hear ya. But I really like THG and although we're kinda small in SETI, I'm proud to be associated with Tom's team! When I first started with this computer hobby, THG was my primary source of information and learning. I also like the way Tom isn't afraid to call it like he sees it! Now-a-days I read a lot of other great sites as well, but THG is a great place!

I like distributed computing and the UD program is attractive because I feel like I may be helping in a real way with the Cancer research... at least I hope it isn't all a farce... The problem with SETI is it seems kinda useless in a way. Nothing's been found so far and I suspect that nothing ever will be!

Scout

G

Hey Scout, I'm still around, just spending too much time outside to post much here. The summers are way too short up here to not make the most of.
I have roughly the same # of machines, and I upgraded my c464 to a p3-840.

G

I just started running Seti for THG about two weeks ago. I'm currently up to 16 work units (hey I only have a celeron 300 running at @450).

My seti machine is also my firewall for my home network so it's always on. I'd run seti at work but I'm not sure if this is "allowed".

Are most of you running the command line version of Seti? I found a sweet little program that runs as a service and launches the command-line seti program. This is great because you don't have to log in for seti to work. The command line version also completes the work units in about 1hr faster than the standards windows version does. I highly recommend everyone use the command line version.

Anyhoo, that's all I got for now. Hopefully I can find another machine to run seti on so I can boost my numbers up.

SlackJaw

0h yeah...my seti account is under ruldaas@hotmail.com.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yep... you'd better be careful using work machines for our little hobby... businesses tend to get a bit miffed if you use their machines! It's hard to believe some of the strange notions about computers at work by IT professionals no less!

Yes, I use the command line and SETI Driver to cache as many work units as I want, which came in handy when I went on vaction last month!

So your Celery 450 runs stable overclocked? I have a 366 that runs at 550, but it doesn't seem entirely stable. I have found better luck with the Celeron II 566... All of em run at least 850 it seems and I can make over 1 GHz. with one of mine (I run two currently)... The other will do 935. Unlike my older Celeron, these two seem completely stable at these OC speeds... and they really do quite well speed wise on these distributed computing projects :)

Scout

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Galanz,
What's a C464? Celeron?

The PIII's are sure coming down in price now-a-days. It'd be really impressive if it wasn't for the Athlon's coming down even more! You can get an awful lot of computing power for very few $$$ today - and memory - wow is that getting cheap. I guess I'm wondering how much RAM I really want in my systems. I know some of the older chipsets had some fairly low limits on how much RAM they could use, but today, the ceiling is much higher.

I keep 256 meg in two of my machines and 512 in my fastest Athlon 1.2 GHz. I had 768 meg in the Athlon for a while, but I swear it seemed slower with that much memory. I've read that having too much RAM lessens the effectiveness of your L2 cache since the "hit rate" goes down.

Scout

G

"What's a C464? Celeron?"
Correct, the legendary Celeron 300a oc'd to 103mhz fsb. Ran at 464 for over 2 years without fail.

I'm watching the prices of the 1.2ghz Tbirds so I can upgrade my Duron 750, I have it running at 950, but 1.2ghz would be nice. The 1.2 is as high as my MB(Asus A7V) will support. Both of my home machines are running 512mb of ram, with prices so cheap It's hard to pass up.

G

I've got a celeron 300a that runs perfectly at 450. When I swith to "turbo mode", that would boost it to 464, it becomes extremely unstable. I'm only using a standard heat sink with 3 fans in the case (power supply, on in front, and one in back). I'm guessing that with some more cooling I could boost it up...but the gain is hardly worth the effort (I'm not that hardcore).

My other machine (game machine :) ) is a Tbird 1ghz with 256mgs of 133 ram. I haven't tried overclocking this one as I don't really see any need to (yet).

As far as ram goes I think 256 is enough for now. I know ram is super cheap but from monitoring my resources I never exceed 256 (or even come close). I don't see any reason to get anymore if it's never even used. If I where to work at home I would probably upgrade though (Visual studio is a memory HOG).

Slackjaw

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Scout, I’m only about 30 behind you. Not to bad considering I turn my computer off at night and when I go to work.

I know what u guys mean by it being dead in here but I’m not going anywhere. There’s no way I’m going to join another team and start at the bottom. I’m just happy to be in the top 20. I think there is just not much going on in seti right now, until they come out with a new version or find ET it’s going to be kind of quiet.

BTY is anyone going to updating the THG SETI page? It’s at 4/26/1!

Thx & Cya

<font color=green> 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f6?? </font color=green>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lowlypawn,
I've noticed you closing the gap lately! Hummm... I have my 1.2 Gig Athlon loaded up with SETI now... Trouble is I only have it on a couple of hours a day, so it takes a while to do a unit! Of course... if you were to get any closer...

Scout

G

i have merely one 1.2ghz athlon t-bird running on an athlon a7v and have managed to bust out 380 returns in less than 2 months. We have assembled a team for UD that began as a group of friends (hardware freaks) from irc. our irc team information is:
http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=9DE3926C-6E19-431C-8E89-694A11A7A67E
We merely want to toss all the intel guys out on their ears. we currently have 5-7 active participants and have managed to get close the the #1000 point already in only about 2 months. please join and help our anti-intel cause
;-D

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the invite... but I'm already on a team with a friend at work. I like your style though... For me, that's the real essence of distributed computing. We build these fast machines and they need something to do... if I can do something worthwhile in the meantime, that's great too! And there's nothing like a little competition! Although I really like my Athlon (I've built 4 so far)because of it's spectacular price to performance ratio, I also like Intel processors as well. I gotta admit though, when I challenged my friend's Athlon with my Intel machine, even with a head start, he smacked me silly! So I did the only rational thing... I built an Athlon that was faster than his!!!

Scout