Arizona Nuking Trolls by Making "Annoying" Comments Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
please someone go tape a rick ashtley youtube address to their door.

this is rediculous; way to promote your state: "we are racist, and if you say something bad about it, you can go to jail."

objectivity makes this entire proposal insane.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I just happen to live in beautiful sunny southern Arizona where the sun shines 350 days a year and people do not shovel snow.

As of this morning there are two different versions of the proposed legislation. One is in the state House and one is in the state Senate. In addition, there is a legislative committee trying to sort things out.There may or may not be a compromise. At the moment nobody is certain how far this will go.

What I find curious is the attention the news media has given the issue because this type of legistation is nothing new. In fact, Arizona, llike other states, is trying to modernize their laws. It is probably the wording that is causing problems.

3ddraft

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Tally up all the time they spent considering the bill, charge them for an hourly rate and buy every resident of Arizona a hard hat and a good set of earplugs. Then make a "law" saying if you're offended by something on the web then don't look at it. .... when will it end...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
"If this bill pass"????

Come on. It's the first phrase of the first sentence. What, did the proof reader stop at the third word?

lca1443

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
How does that possibly not encroach on your freedom of speech? Plus what is offensive? Because I think that I wouldn't find some things offensive that others may find extremely. There should be very few laws that govern social behavior, maybe none.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
This would never hold up in court concerning public forums. Only way they'd have a leg to stand on would be repetitive private pms, emails, etc. Stalking and harassment are already illegal. So this bill does nothing. And to boot, the prosecuter would have to prove that their client blocked or tried to actively ignore the person, and that the accused effectivly circumvented the attempts.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
This is wrong, you cannot stop being speaking their mind. It is a constitutional right to say whatever it is they want; as long as it is not enticing violence or aggression there is nothing anyone can do. This law could become so abused, take away from one group and you open the door for the same to happen to everyone else. If you don't like something or someone ignore it.

You cannot make being stupid illegal or else we would be in jail.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would rather deal with a thousand trolls than have the government try to determine what people can say on web sites.

There is no point to go after trolling if the intent is to try to confront online bullying, harrassment and stalking. They are totally different things. Not to mention people claim someone is trolling these days simply if they write something that differs from their opinion.

quilciri

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
I'm impressed Lawall was able to say "People's First Amendment right to say horrible things is not being infringed upon" with a straight face.

Every state has dumbass laws, but most don't make new ones anymore.....

Status
Not open for further replies.