Arizona Nuking Trolls by Making "Annoying" Comments Illegal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if this bill passes, some organization will come out with a research finding in the near future that concludes half of Arizonians are easily annoyed, while the other half are easily offended. All unemployed lawyers will flock to Arizona singing "Happy days are here again".

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I'm thinking they are trying to stop targeted harassment but politicians being who they are, are probably too stupid to know how to narrow it down properly.

I can see making people responsible for trolling a specific person or spamming them with harassing e-mails (cyber-bullying). If the spamming or trolling results in something bad, the people should be held accountable for their comments. However, random acts of stupidity online should just be ignored.

Comments from some annoymous source on the internet while annoying should only be controlled by the website they are posted on. Websites create their own standards, or lack thereof, and should be allowed to moderate things according to that. If people don't like it, they are free to stop visiting that website.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Every day the USA turns more into a police state. Its now legal for the police to strip search anyone arrested for any crime. Strip jaywalker!

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]fyend[/nom]Every day the USA turns more into a police state. Its now legal for the police to strip search anyone arrested for any crime. Strip jaywalker![/citation]... and for any non-crime, like for not having a bell on your bicycle, or for not being white...

G

does this mean we can get all those political and religious comments off the internet ?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]crazypcman[/nom]does this mean we can get all those political and religious comments off the internet ?[/citation]

This is the internet. Making it free of political, religious, and otherwise stupid/biased statements is a pipe dream.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Yes, this is a clear violation of free speech. If anyone is guilty of trolling, it's these clowns trying to gain publicity via sensationalism. For those in Arizona, please vote these jokers out of office.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
That means the police can do a cavity search of a 12yr old girl for stealing a $1 candy bar.

Fascism is alive and well in the USA... hey, didn't we kill a whole bunch of them during WWII?

Markon101

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
This is ridiculous, I would pull out my copy of the constitution, and tell them "Honor this or I'm leaving this state/country for good"

cavedog

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
As a resident of Florida, I can sympathize with the residents of Arizona on this idiotic piece of legislation.

G

this is rediculous; way to promote your state: "we are racist, and if you say something bad about it, you can go to jail."

==============

Why do people always assume that one is being racist? It's very easy to play that card but the truth of the matter is the internet is a public place just like a bus, cafe or grocery store. We all know what is appropriate conduct when we are in a public spot and most places have rules from when people get out of line. Why should the internet be any different?

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]avenger07[/nom]this is rediculous; way to promote your state: "we are racist, and if you say something bad about it, you can go to jail."==============Why do people always assume that one is being racist? It's very easy to play that card but the truth of the matter is the internet is a public place just like a bus, cafe or grocery store. We all know what is appropriate conduct when we are in a public spot and most places have rules from when people get out of line. Why should the internet be any different?[/citation]

Internet is not a bus, cafe, or a grocery store. Here is a better comparison: Internet is Internet. It is very much a public place and your language should not be controlled by any of these "righteous" idiots.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
So If I'm in Texas, and post something offensive in a forum being hosted in California to be viewed by people in Arizona and the rest of the free world, how does this affect me?

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
i want to see this enforced when someone from another country flames someone :)) no foreign law official could keep.a streight face after hearing this :))

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
This reminds me of a law they have tried to pass in Romania, according to which TV news channels would have been forced to give as many "good news" as "bad news". Absolutely ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.