Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: As soon as possible

Budget Range: $1-3k after or before shipping (Cheaper the better ;) )

System Usage from Most to Least Important: This laptop is going to be my main portable computer for game programming and animation. Started a studio with some friends and I need this laptop to work and run smoothly with Autodesk's software line (Maya, 3D Studio Max, and more), Unity, UDK, CryEngine 3, Visual Studio 2012, and much more. I also wanted this laptop to be able to run games that we create. I have a spare gaming PC and workstation so I do not need this laptop to be hardcore workstation material but it would be nice to render small projects I work on when I am out.

Are you buying a monitor: I will be using a Wacom 13HD (Travel) and Wacom 24HD (Home) drawing tablet.

Do you need to buy OS:I Prefer Windows 7 but if Windows 8 I can deal with it.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I prefer Amazon because in the case that something does not work I can return with little hassle unlike Newegg BUT I do understand if I need to buy something somewhere else so list any site.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Intel or AMD, Nvidia or ATI...honestly, whatever is best for my situation. My brother has AMD and loves the 8 cores and I have Intel i7 (3rd) and I love the speed. So which ever is best for the laptop, I will use.

Overclocking: Not a concern.

SLI: If it helps, yes but from when I know, SLI has nothing to do with programs. Again it would be nice to play games on the laptop as well.

Your Monitor Resolution: Does not matter really.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Started a game studio with friends and just need something for portability. Any help would be great and I thank everyone ahead of time. Here is what I have found so far:

MSI WorkStation
Lenovo Y500

g-unit1111

Distinguished
What is your actual budget for this system? If you're willing to spend up to $3K I wouldn't recommend any of the above. Off the shelf systems are marred by slow hard drives and watered down GPUs, and if you're going to be using this laptop for those purposes that won't cut it.

Instead go for something like this:

- Falcon Northwest TLX: http://www.falcon-nw.com/laptops/tlx
- Sager NP 9370: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=special&mid=NP9370
- Origin EON 15S: http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon15-s/

These systems are far more powerful than anything you can buy off the shelf at Amazon or Newegg. If you're going to use this system for critical rendering applications I'd recommend not getting a laptop and building your own system based around the i7-3930K.

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

I already own a Workstation PC and Gaming PC, this laptop will fit the needs of both but not as hardcore. I want to have something portable for when I am out and about. For example, lets say I go to the park, I want to be able to pull out my laptop, draw pad, and just sketch. If I see something I like I might take a little time and turn that sketch into a 3D animation in Maya, slightly rendering it. I am not saying I need some super workstation laptop, just enough for me to render minor things here and there, while also being able to play games when I want to just have fun lol.

Hope this helps but I will look into those three laptops you have shown. Thank you.

Here is what I made from Origin:
EON15-S Pro-$2,454
Details
Laptop Platform: EON15-S
The ORIGIN Difference: Truly Custom PC's. Want a component that is not on our site? Call or email us and we will include it in your system.
Display Type: 1920 x 1080 15.6" FHD LED Backlit Matte Display
Customizable Backlit Keyboard: Customizable Backlit Keyboard Software with Three Lighting Zones and Seven Color options
Graphic Cards: Single 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M
Processors: Intel Core i7 3740QM Quad-Core 2.70GHz (3.70GHz TurboBoost), 6MB Cache
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (4 X 4GB)
Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition
Optical Drive: 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Slim Drive (No DVD Playback Software for Windows 8 Included)
mSATA Drive: 60GB ORIGIN PC Approved
mSATA Option: mSATA OS Drive
Hard Drive One: 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy : None
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio with THX TruStudio Pro and up to 7.1 Channel support
Networking: Wi-Fi Link 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module with Bluetooth - Up to 300 Mbps
SuperSpeed USB 3.0: SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
Media Card Reader: Media Card Reader
Finger Print Reader: Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Reader
Web Camera: Built-in 2.0 Megapixel Video Camera
Warranty: 1 Year Part Replacement and 45 Day Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support
ORIGIN Recovery: ORIGIN Recovery USB Flash Drive
No Dead Pixel Guarantee: 45 Day No Dead Pixel Guarantee Free

g-unit1111

Distinguished

That makes sense. I got a Y500 for myself but that is only because I don't need a super powerful laptop. But for Autodesk programs you want at least an i7 with an SSD, that would be ideal. That system from Origin would be ideal. I'd go Falcon Northwest and get one custom painted if I had the cash. :lolk:

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Just makes me sad to see the price lol. I want to spend as less as possible considering I have a WorkStation PC already and that was 9k :( I will keep configuring models and see what I can do, maybe they can offer a discount.

Paramedicsam

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
So think this would run my programs fine?

Origin-$2304
Configuration

EON15-S
Exterior: Not Painted
Truly Custom PC's. Want a component that is not on our site? Call or email us and we will include it in your system.
1920 x 1080 15.6" FHD LED Backlit Matte Display
Customizable Backlit Keyboard Software with Three Lighting Zones and Seven Color options
Single 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX
Intel Core i7 3740QM Quad-Core 2.70GHz (3.70GHz TurboBoost), 6MB Cache
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (4 X 4GB)
Genuine MS Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition
8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Slim Drive (No DVD Playback Software for Windows 8 Included)
120GB mSATA ORIGIN PC Approved
mSATA OS Drive
240GB ORIGIN PC Approved Solid State Drive
None
Integrated High-Definition Audio with THX TruStudio Pro and up to 7.1 Channel support
Wi-Fi Link 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module with Bluetooth - Up to 300 Mbps
SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
Media Card Reader
Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Reader
Built-in 2.0 Megapixel Video Camera
1 Year Part Replacement and 45 Day Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support
ORIGIN Recovery USB Flash Drive
45 Day No Dead Pixel Guarantee Free
ORIGIN PC T-Shirt Large
Microsoft Windows Live Essential
Steam (The Ultimate Online Game Platform)
FREE Massive Multiplayer Online Game: League of Legends
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Google Chrome

g-unit1111

Distinguished

I think I'd lose the mSATA cache and get a mass storage drive but otherwise that looks good. Although I don't get why they list free programs like Steam and Chrome as features. :lol: