Ask An Expert: Social Media with Henry T. Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybush

Estimable
Ask an Expert: Featuring Henry T. Casey, Tom’s Guide Writer

Are you having difficulty navigating the world of social media? Need an expert’s opinion on the latest and greatest? Not even sure where to start when it comes to Snapchat? We’re introducing on Tom’s Guide our advice installment ‘Ask an Expert’, hosted by your community staff.

For a time, we’re going to help you and answer questions regarding laptop tech support. What type of tech you’re looking for and the gear necessary to cover all your needs.

Please join us on this date to throw your questions into the mix!

What: Ask an Expert
When: Thursday August 10th – Friday August 11th
Who: Your Community Staff with Special Guest Henry T. Casey

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9RL0UvNzAwNzkwL29yaWdpbmFsL0hlbnJ5VENhc2V5LWNvbW11bml0eS5qcGc=

Our special guest this week is Henry T. Casey, Staff Writer on Tom’s Guide and LaptopMag. He keeps his social media accounts in check, as all go by the username @henrytcasey. He covers Apple, security, social media and music, and divides his free time among podcasting, going to concerts and enjoying the art of the squared circle.

‘Ask an Expert’ will be running from 10 AM August 10, 2017 to 3 PM August 11, 2017. The forum thread will open at 5PM August 9th in preparation for questions.

Ask An Expert Rules

• ■All Rules of Conduct apply.
    ■Keep questions direct and to the point.
    ■Avoid opinion bias, as in, "Why are all your products awesome/horrible?"
    ■Be respectful of our guests--no insults, no leading questions.
    ■Do not post duplicate questions or repost your question multiple times.
    ■Not all questions may be answered.
    ■Questions may not be answered in the order in which they are received or posted.
To reiterate: No opinion bias, insults, leading questions, or breaking the Rules of Conduct. Breaking these rules may result in a one-day ban.

Only registered users will be able to ask questions, so if you haven’t yet, be sure to register now for your chance to participate!

The official representatives will reply periodically over the time the AMA is active using a recognized and verified account.

Last but not least, always ask us what you've wanted to ask an expert.

G

Hi Henry!

What would you say are the most child friendly apps/sites used for social media?

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Hi KerryT!

Thanks for joining me today!

How old is your child? If they're below 13, I'm not sure any is good for them, as sites like Facebook (which is the least sketchy of all the popular sites) still requires users to be at least that age when signing up.

You might want to Disney's Club Penguin. I haven't used the site myself (wouldn't be age appropriate) but it might be right for younger users, as it's built to be a safe place for kids.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Henry

G

My oldest is about 14 at this point. He already has a Facebook under supervision, but my younger son loves following his brother around, even on the internet. He's going on 9 at this point and oddly enough, is on an anti-Disney kick. He loves My Little Pony though, but after doing some research I really don't want him on those brony or pegasister sites, they're really not appropriate for children. I don't even know how a company like Hasbro allows those people to run their communities, it's terrible.

Anyhow, I'll give Club Penguin a try, but any other suggestions you have would be great.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Sounds like a good plan. My parents made me wait for things, and it turned out OK for me. I was often told that I wasn't allowed to explore my home town of NYC on my own in the early 90's because of my age, and so I valued it when I got the chance. As an only child I can't imagine what this situation is like for anyone involved, but by framing it as being about caring about the younger child's safety, it prevents him from claiming favoritism.

Status
Not open for further replies.