Asking the impossible? A laptop with a budget of £200

plastichairball

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hi guys,

So a friend of mine is looking for a new laptop and has enlisted my help. Part of what I know how to do is knowing the right folks to ask!

So, all you knowledgeable lads out there, can you recommend any laptops that are around £200? I say around, as maybe he's willing to go a bit higher.

The laptop would be used predominantly for writing, but we're looking for a media and gaming capable laptop as well.

So, it would need to have some kind of graphics capability, a little bit better than most onboard chips. I'm looking around for something with at least a Geforce 8xxx or an ATI 3xxx.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Yep. You are asking the impossible.

At best he can get a netbook which is not for gaming. I would at least double the budget for a modest gaming laptop. I took a brief look at laptops over at www.dabs.com, they did not have a laptop with a dedicated video card less than £400; you will be stuck with an integrated Intel HD 4500 video.

You can play games with an Intel GMA 4500M, but it is weak. Even the weakest ATI or nVidia card will be a little more powerful than what Intel offers.

For £400 I would get the following Lenovo G555 which has an AT Mobility HD 4200

http://www.dabs.com/products/lenovo-g555-0873-athlon-ii-m320-2-1-ghz-320gb-2gb--15-6--tft-dvd-rw-windows-7-home-premium-laptop-7549.html?refs=15

plastichairball

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks for the replies! One helpful, one....not so helpful.....

To further the requirements of the first post, I should clarify.

Second-hand, used/abused would also be considered, doesn't have to be new! In addition, we're not looking for HD gaming with 24xAA etc, just something where most games can be playable, even on lowest settings!

Thanks for the tip on the Intel GMA 4500M, I'd never heard of it until now. I'll start focusing on lappies that have that chip in as well.

Great! Any other suggestions bearing the above new information in mind?

beanoslim

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
For that money a 2nd hand eBay laptop is basically it, lots of sellers sell refurbed tested units.

Check Play.com for occasional bargains and Laptops Direct for graded.