Aspire 8940g-6865 won't power on.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hi guys. I'm having a bit of a problem with my acer lappy. As the title suggested, it suddenly turned off today and now it won't power back on. I was wondering if anyone can help me diagnose what might be the problem. Here are the symptoms.

Firstly, I was using it normally like everyday. Tried to OC the GPU, and left OCCT to do a 2 hour run, while defragging in the background. Normally, this would get the GPU to about 80oC, nothing too dangerous. If unlucky, the display driver would fail, no harm done. Anyway, when I got back from my nap, the laptop is shut off. At first, there are no lights.

However, when I use the 30s power button trick, and then plug in my power brick, the power button lights up, indicating there's power.

However, when I press the power button, one light would flash on (the one next to the battery charge light) and then the whole system would be dead. The power button light also die. This would continue until I unplug the power cord and wait for 30s or so and plug it back in.

If I try to use the batter, same thing. Battery in, cord in. Light indicates battery charging. Turn on computer, all lights die.

Oh and, the laptop is completely silent. No fans/HDD activity. Just dead silence. What can this be? I'm out of warranty, so am I SOL?

fortuna

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi,

Please try to remove the battery and connect only the ac-adapter. will it turn on now?
If not, keep the battery out and try another ac-adapter if you can get one.

If another ac-adapter won't work as well, it's probably a hardware issue.. try cleaning the metal connectors with a dry cloth.. If that doesn't work, take your laptop to a lab

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I have tried it with another adapter. The problem is that electricity seems to be flowing in, as the power button lights up (indicating there is power going in), and the battery would even charge! All of that stop as soon as I turn the computer on, and won't return unless I remove the adapter + the battery and wait for 15s or so.

joesk

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
I have the saproblem now. I was playing my STO game and it just turned off. I was not OC the laptop but i was running it in a warm room (above 80degres) I had a temp monitor running with alarms set and they never went off before it died.

Was hoping you have resolved this issue by now and know what i need to do.

Thanks

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

Unfortunately, it was a smoked mainboard and GPU. I was forced to turn it in for repairs. The mobo got fixed, but the GPU is dead. And there are no replacements as the line is EOL. So I'm out of luck, it seems.

joesk

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
I was looking online you can get a GPU still for about $170.
I was hoping you were going to reply saying it was the power board. Cause replacing the MB and GPU will be about $800 for me. I certified comp tech, however I don't have the resources to do my oun TS on this one. Was able to find a service manual but all it says is to do swaptronics to diagnose a problem.

I can send you the links to the GPU's I found for the laptop if you want.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

A link would be great!

joesk

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002

Sorry about taking so long to respond.
On ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/nVIDIA-GTS-250M-N10E-GE-A2-1GB-MXM-VGA-Video-Card-ENG-/150451431653

here's one also.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-nvidia--vg.10p06.004-1g-video-card.html

Also. After doing a bit more research I (tell me I am wrong guys) found out that any MXM 3.0-A (not -B) VGA card will more then likely work. That means we could upgrade all the way up to a 560 or 6550M. Which these cards are more readily available but cost more. However there is a possibility that the Acer cards are proprietary. Can't find anything that says it is or isn't. I Have to wait till i can save up some mula before buying anything so I will have more time to research. But if I can i want to upgrade at least to a 5550AMD or a 450Nvidia.

joesk

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002

That's why I edited my post with the (not -B) The A and B denote the form factor and version. It looks like the the B version was made to accommodate more ram and a larger memory bus. Otherwise the pin out's the same. If the card could physically fit it would probably work, don't know for sure. Other then that the Wiki says that (A fits A) and (B fits A or B).

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

I'm not so sure.

You have to make sure that the new card is <30W in TDP, otherwise it won't work.

Personally, I'd wait until you can buy something like the GT 640M. However, I do not know when it'll be sold :(

joesk

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002

I have been looking at the specs for a lot of the MXM A cards and not all list the TDP rating. But on the tech site for the MXM standard the 'A' Spec card was for a lower TDP then the 'B' Spec. I think if I remember correctly the 'A' format was to be for 30w and below and the "B' format was for 75w and above.
Of course I have to wait till I can tear my laptop apart and see if I need to replace the mainboard also. I'm sure it is the video card that is cooked due to the high temp spike before it died. Not so sure about the mainboard tho.

I will keep an eye out for the 640m hopefully they make a 'A' format.