Aspire M1201 disc drive

1cubsfan

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I can't get the disc drive to open. I've tried using a pocket kinfe after trying the eject button.It won't budge. It keeps shutting itself down when I try.Should I try it with the computer off?

Solution
Have you checked to see if there is a pinhole on/near it, which is to be used for just this case, when it won't open? If the drive won't open it may well be broken, or something could be jammed in there. Prying it is usually not a good idea. Even more so if it is powered on.

If you feel comfortable opening up the laptop and seeing if anything is dislodged, missing, etc., then I would suggest trying that first. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then you may want to have someone look at it. Better to have it looked at and pay a small fee than to break it and pay either a large one or seriously damage the laptop.
Have you checked to see if there is a pinhole on/near it, which is to be used for just this case, when it won't open? If the drive won't open it may well be broken, or something could be jammed in there. Prying it is usually not a good idea. Even more so if it is powered on.

If you feel comfortable opening up the laptop and seeing if anything is dislodged, missing, etc., then I would suggest trying that first. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then you may want to have someone look at it. Better to have it looked at and pay a small fee than to break it and pay either a large one or seriously damage the laptop.

Solution