Astro A40 and Maximus VI Extreme

dave1642

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Im having a really hard time figuring out how to get surround sound on my headset.
I have the mix amp connected to my motherboard via optical cable and when I select "realtek digital optical" as my default device the sound in my headset gets nearly inaudible.
If i select the a40's as my default device, the sound is louder but when I test the device in my sound options it only outputs two channels.
I thought it was supposed to be surround sound,
so I did some digging and found that I must have Dolby Digital Live enabled to get surround.
http://forums.astrogaming.com/index.php?threads/acgg-post-pc-configuration-tutorial.68929/

But I cant for the life of me figure out how to enable or even find the setting for Dolby Digital Live, or "DDL".
Am I wrong for assuming that my high end motherboard has this "DDL" capability?

Posting this question here is my last step before I just give in and purchase a sound card.

Also, the eq profile button on the mixamp doesnt sound any different, Im not sure if this is an indication of anything, but there it is.

Thanks

Rich_hard1

Estimable
Jul 6, 2014

I use the Astro A50's connected through a Mixamp Pro, I also use the Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard. Unfortunately the onboard soundboard is not Dolby Digital, therefore cannot drive the headphone for 7.1 or 5.1 surround.
I invested in a basic Creative Omni 5.1 USB soundcard. Disabled the onboard audio, connected a TOSlink from the Omni to the MixAmp Pro, and enabled Dolby Digital Live through the creative game panel settings. Then set the A40/50 as your 'default' communication device.