RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
So I recently (yesterday) got my Astro a40 Red edition, along with the Mixamp. After setting it up for far too long (for PC), it seems I get static. The cords I have plugged in VIA Mixamp are the USB Mixamp -> PC, Optical Cable Mixamp -> PC and Media Controller Cable
A40PCWHT-3.jpg
Headset -> Mixamp. For some reason, whenever I got past 1/3 volume (on the mixamp) I here a slight static noise, nearly unidentifiable as static. Then once I hit past 1 half, the static get much louder and increases steadily as I turn the mixamp dial. Any suggestions? Is it the Media Controller Cable? (Also, for some reason I have to twist the end of the Media cable that goes into the headset side because it shall only come from one ear, or it shall be really distorted but this is fixed after twisting it a bit. Any suggestions?)

Solution
there are multiple cables that came with the headphones use just a regular cable from the headphones to the amp. take the little control cable out of the mix. having to twist the cable means that it has a bad connection and when turning up the volume is causing a static noise.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I would say its the media cable. you should not have to twist the end to make it work. have you tried to just plug the headphones right into the mixamp to see if the media cable is causing the problem. Have you tried plugging the media cable right into the computer to see if the mixamp is causing the issue.

a little trial and error of eliminating one part at a time will allow you to figure out what is causing you the issue.

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
What do you mean by plugging the headphones right into the mixamp? That what I am currently doing (I think), one of the media cable in the headset, other in the Mixamp. When I try plugging the Media cable straight in the PC, I get no sound.

jackstrr

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
That is called EMI, Electro Magnetic Interference which is caused by inference given off from your computer hardware, your best bet to do is shield the cables, twist them and put some plastic sleaving on

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
there are multiple cables that came with the headphones use just a regular cable from the headphones to the amp. take the little control cable out of the mix. having to twist the cable means that it has a bad connection and when turning up the volume is causing a static noise.

Solution

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

If I am understanding what your saying, which I may not, you believe my cables don't already have plastic over them? They are just fine normal cables, I meant twisting the little end piece clock wise or counter and eventually it works. If you mean an extra sleeve of protection over the normal ones they provide covering the wires inside the cable, I shall try that although I don't understand where the twisting would come in.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Having to twist the cable means one of the wires is not connected or is broken and not getting a good signal.

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Sorry, didn't mean to pick as solution, but I can't find any other cable that provides sound at all. All of the other cables aren't proper to go into the headset end.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
send/take them back to wherever you got them from. The plug end on the headphones is not working right. In no way should you have to twist the cable to get sound out of both sides of the headphones or there be any distortion in them brand new.

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Welp... I should have expected this with the amount of complains Astro gets. Thank you for the help.