Astro A50's and Battery Degredation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Christenson

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
So I just bought the Astro A50's, I had the option to get the A40's and I still can but I gave in to the option of less cords since I will be using it on my gaming rig and consoles. My concern is that unlike my backup headset the Logitech G930 you can't order replacement batteries if the battery goes bad. I would prefer having a paper weight on my hands some time that will likely occur after the manufacturer warranty runs out, has anyone who owns this headset had experience with battery degradation and how did it all turn out for you? I have about 2 weeks to figure out whether to stick with them or just return them and get the A40's.

i do not have personal experience with the a50 headset but typically rechargeable batteries only last about 2-3 years before you start having issues with them. this is also affected by when you charge the battery and how many times you have done this. eventually the battery will degrade to a point where it will only last a short period of time before being dead.

as far as i can tell the a50 has a non-user-replaceable design which means you would need to send it in to service for battery replacement unless of course you feel comfortable taking apart the headset and trying to find a match for whichever battery they used.

personally i do not like the idea of non-replaceable batteries myself.

Dustin Christenson

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Thanks for the response I might just return them and get the A40's its a few more cables but I wont have to worry about the battery later in life, I looked into the cable length on the A40's anyway and the power and Toslink cable are both 9ft which is fine my room space to couch is around 6 foot so I should be fine.

ewok93

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Having a wireless headset is really nice, but it definitely has its drawbacks. If you don't mind having a cable, you might as well get the A40's.

Dustin Christenson

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Thanks for the reply im likely just going to go get the A40's for simplicities sake.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

i got the a50's on offer and the good thing about them is you can use them as a wired headset by using a micro usb cable if thats what your after.

best of both worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.