Asus BIOS Updating Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2018
Hi All,

I have an Asus A541U or an A541UA (depending on which label you look at) and it had BIOS version 301 loaded.

After trying to set up a Lenovo USB Dock with the unit, I thought that there may have been a problem with the lappy and I decided to do a BIOS update.

When I checked the Asus site for the A541UA, a link sent me to downloads for X541UA and X541UAK and when I looked at these I saw that the UA had BIOS v304 and the UAK was v311 being a newer file as well.

Like a goose (as it turns out) I downloaded and installed the v 311 file, and the update went like clockwork with no problems at all running the process.

Sadly, when I rebooted, I received an error message telling me that there was a problem with the "Secure Boot" so I went in to BIOS and disabled the secure boot and restated the PC again.

This time when the computer started up, it booted straight into the BIOS screen and wouldn't let me go anywhere else.

A call to Asus then confirmed that I had downloaded and flashed the wrong version and I should have used v 304.

I've since found and dowloaded v 301, v 303 and v 304 but the Asus EZ Flash 3 application won't recognise any of these files (the unzipped files have extensions of .301, .303 and .304) so I've been unable to roll it back to an earlier version.

I've since seen something written somewhere and by what I can understand, the that EZ Flash utility won't work with an older BIOS than the one installed.

As I can't get past the error message or the BIOS screen, I'm unable to get in to Windows, and can't use the WinFlash (?) utility either.

I'm hoping that someone may know how I could possibly update or roll back the BIOS to an earlier version using a bootable USB or similar.

I do know that it's possible to boot from a USB as I have also tried running a Win 10 Restore (or Repair) USB and was able to boot from that without a problem.

Hoping that someone is able to help and looking forward to hearing back soon.

Cheers

Paul

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
Running BIOS update resets BIOS settings to default values.
This means, you have to restore boot mode and sata controller settings to previous (before BIOS update) values.

Symptoms, what you're describing, would correspond to booting into UEFI mode with legacy/csm mode disabled and windows installed in legacy/csm mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS